Tropical Weather Threat For Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
    State has been deploying assets today and yesterday.
    Yep, my SO left yesterday morning from DFW. She is rolling with the 454th air wing to CRP right now.

Comment

I went across Hwy 181 in north Bee County at around 1:30 today and there was about normal traffic. I went ahead and boarded up my parents home there to just be safe in case it moves that direction. 2 hours later I tried to cross Hwy 181 and it was bumper to bumper traffic heading north. Now I have to wait to see what to do with my home east of town about 15 miles but only about 45 miles from the closest bay to my south. Luckily I have a water well and generator if I get in a bind. I put extra gallon jugs of water in my spare freezer space to freeze so if I loose power I can go a few days without loosing anything. I also have a windmill to get fresh drinking water if need, lord knows there will be enough wind to pump water. Worse case is catch bucket fulls off the roof from all the predicted rains.
      My biggest worry is my 87 yr old mother in an assisted living home in Beeville. Said they are prepared for events like this but if the sheriffs office tells them to evacuate then I will have to pick her up and move her somewhere that is safer. That is going to be an issue to move her in the traffic mess and find a safe place to stay then that can accommodate her. Hopefully by 7 am tomorrow morning I will know what is in store. The huge amounts of rains are going to make travel and picking routes a problem when creeks rise and cross over highways and county roads.
      I hope all of this is not needed but somewhere people in this state are going to get part of this storm. I hope the only damages people get are those that can be replaced or repaired.

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
        They just forecast +30" of rain for here in Victoria and Port Lavaca.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Austin weather is saying there are models showing up to 45" of rain in Victoria if the storm stalls out over the area after coming inland.

Comment

This is going to be devastating for us in Victoria and Calhoun counties. It is one of the hardest things, leaving our house, but all we can do now is hope and pray. Seek high ground and patience.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
            For everyone that lives in or very close to Victoria county, are you staying or leaving?

I'm trying to make up my mind, Got the house all boarded up but my biggest concern is a big oak tree falling on the house and loosing power for days as I'm outside of the city and we loose power quite often during big storms.
            Rob, I finally convinced my Mom to head North.
            Either me or one of the guys that works for us will be in your neck of the woods checkin on people we know.
            If we see something out of the norm, I'll send you a message and also contact VCSO. Just be safe.

Comment

Last edited by Johnny; 08-24-2017, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Comment

Seems like every time they forecast a major storm it turns out to be nothing and when they forecast a light storm and nothing to worry about it's devastating. Praying for the first for you coastal folks!

I really hope they have overhyped this one and it turns out to not be near as bad as they are predicting!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                    I'm holding my tongue on what I think is about to happen over the next 5 days....making me very uneasy, more so than Ike.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                    Let us in on what your thinking....

Comment

I'm holding my tongue on what I think is about to happen over the next 5 days....making me very uneasy, more so than Ike.

I don't have nearly the knowledge about meteorology as you do but have to say I'm feeling same. Every step of the way this storm keeps doing more than what most have predicted...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hil...I was with one of my customers today while in Zapata & got to overhear all the chatter of shutting down the NG Engines / Compressors / Lines, etc in your area where they are heavy. Major deal.

I don't think I could ever leave the house myself...a good 60-70 miles in from the coast. The rest of the fam & dogs would be on the road right now if we were in your window however.

Chin up.

<><

Originally posted by Hillary View Post
                        This is going to be devastating for us in Victoria and Calhoun counties. It is one of the hardest things, leaving our house, but all we can do now is hope and pray. Seek high ground and patience.

Comment

You comfortable making an eye landfall prediction at this point amigo??
                          Last edited by Artos; 08-24-2017, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post

How appropriate. Harvey completely changed his mind and is now a hurricane.

Comment

Originally posted by stykshooter View Post
                              Just realized that 25 years ago Hurricane Andrew (Cat 5) hit S. Florida with 175 mph winds demolished Homestead Fl. killing 65. I lost everything & I lived 25 miles from Homestead.

Mother nature doesn't play
                              Remember it very well brother. Andrew leveled South FLA as a CAT5 then headed back into the Gulf and made its second landfall in Morgan City as a CAT3 ... 80% of the trees in the Atchafalaya Basin were blown over and lost. Most were 100-200 yr old cypress trees. 10 day tracking images below.

Comment

That statement makes me very nervous. I remember how spot on you were with Ike.

Comment

Working...
                                X