No announcement yet.

What’s is worst feral hog or warthog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can confirm one was killed outside Cotulla, this was a couple years ago though.

Comment

Are you supposed to get a CITES permit after killing a warthog?

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
        Just curious
        I thought warthogs were presently only in a small area near the Chap
        Are they wandering and reproducing further now?

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
          Are you supposed to get a CITES permit after killing a warthog?

No

Comment

Originally posted by Avidhunter1356 View Post
            So I heard that there is a warthog’s Texas. What is worst, Feral Hogs or warthogs?
            When in Africa our PH prepared warthog ribs for us I called him out saying bro I eatin hog before you sure this going to be good ......let me tell you that **** was delicious he glazes a bit of honey on them at the end and dammmmmmm.....he went on to say that warthog are grazers and only eat grass and grubs or something like that unlike our wild feral hogs in America that will eat meat and carcasses.....don't know how true that is but for being one ugly mofo it was dam good table fair
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
              No

Ok, that's good. I've heard that some animals like the Pier David, the dama gazelle, the scimitar-horned oryx, etc do require one. Assuming that's true can you shoot one (that's not tagged) that shows up on your place and simply request the permit after the fact?

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                Yes

Thanks. Spent last 8 yrs of my career working in northern Webb along the river
                Didn’t realize they were spreading.

What is the biggest y’all have seen?

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                  Thanks. Spent last 8 yrs of my career working in northern Webb along the river
                  Didn’t realize they were spreading.

What is the biggest y’all have seen?

Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	24707900
                  Not as big as the ones in Africa.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                    Ok, that's good. I've heard that some animals like the Pier David, the dama gazelle, the scimitar-horned oryx, etc do require one. Assuming that's true can you shoot one (that's not tagged) that shows up on your place and simply request the permit after the fact?

You’re thinking of endangered species. Warthogs are not…though they would be if I had my way. [emoji35]

Comment

Back when I raised European boars, a breeder in Mississippi had Euro’s, Red River Hogs, and Wharthogs. He tried crossing each with no success. Wharthogs can only breed with Wharthogs and the Red River hogs needed two males in a pen together to “compete” to make the sows come into heat.

He was able to get pure blooded pigs from each but never any crosses.

Comment

Pig for pig I believe the wart hog is more destructive than a feral hog, but since there are 5,000,000 more feral hogs in Texas I would say they are "worser"..........

Comment

How can something that provides hunting opportunities year around be bad. After deer season ends, we can continue hunting hogs. I don't care which one is worse. As long as, it provides me with something to shoot at.

Comment

Originally posted by lordvader View Post
                            How can something that provides hunting opportunities year around be bad. After deer season ends, we can continue hunting hogs. I don't care which one is worse. As long as, it provides me with something to shoot at.
                            You don’t own hay meadows or any other crop land do you? If you did you would hate them too. Wish they were all gone. Plenty of bobcats, coyotes, coons etc to shoot if ya just want to shoot something.

Comment

Warthogs do not reproduce at the same rate as other swine. They also cannot cross breed.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                                You don’t own hay meadows or any other crop land do you? If you did you would hate them too. Wish they were all gone. Plenty of bobcats, coyotes, coons etc to shoot if ya just want to shoot something.

Exactly

Comment

Working...
                                X