San Saba - Help with Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
    Why do you say this? Most folks I know in the area let them get older. Some much older.
    Not to say it doesn’t happen. I’ve been hunting in Cherokee/ San Saba county for 22 year and seeing a deer over 5 has been pretty rare. Although I’d say it’s 75% tall fence where I’m at which can be a contributing factor. I’m one of the last low fence ranches where I’m at.

Comment

Big neighbors with low fence. We are hunting 1400 acres and have been managing pretty hard the last 5 years. This buck came from same area as last year’s big 10 and has the same pattern, thats why I was thinking it may be the sabe buck. I agree with y’all now that it is a different buck for sure. Thanks for the help guys. [emoji1316]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BLee15 View Post
        Not to say it doesn’t happen. I’ve been hunting in Cherokee/ San Saba county for 22 year and seeing a deer over 5 has been pretty rare. Although I’d say it’s 75% tall fence where I’m at which can be a contributing factor. I’m one of the last low fence ranches where I’m at.
        I got on a small lease in Cherokee last year and I haven’t seen many deer over 3, maybe 4. We are low fence on three sides with a big high fence ranch next to us. Either of those deer posted would be the best I’ve seen at our place (through first hand or pictures the lease manager has taken over the last 20 years.

Comment

Tommy lee jones home town is San saba. I hunted there a lot and used to look for him in the restaurants and stores but never saw him.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
            Tommy lee jones home town is San saba. I hunted there a lot and used to look for him in the restaurants and stores but never saw him.
            I hunt next door to two of his ranches. His big ranch is across the street and down a ways. He is an *** hole and a drunk. He does not do well with others LOL. He has people that do stuff for him. He does not go our in public in San Saba or San Antonio either.

Comment

Originally posted by SanSaba007 View Post
              Big neighbors with low fence. We are hunting 1400 acres and have been managing pretty hard the last 5 years. This buck came from same area as last year’s big 10 and has the same pattern, thats why I was thinking it may be the sabe buck. I agree with y’all now that it is a different buck for sure. Thanks for the help guys. [emoji1316]

What part of San Saba? There are some great Deer there if you let them age

Comment

I am 2 miles down the road past his ranch on 1031. I have never seen him, but the locals have the same thing to say about him. [emoji15]

Comment

Originally posted by dcanady View Post
                  I hunt next door to two of his ranches. His big ranch is across the street and down a ways. He is an *** hole and a drunk. He does not do well with others LOL. He has people that do stuff for him. He does not go our in public in San Saba or San Antonio either.
                  If you see him it might be at Diggs, drunk on his a**.

Comment

The 8pt looks 5 plus. Doubt its the 10 from last year, but the drought was brutal - and all of the places I keep up with have a buck herd down 20+++ inches, so it wouldn't totally surprise me.

For low fence hunters, this is one of those years that it's hard to give TBH advice on. My thoughts are pass what you can - as every buck across the board should be bigger next year.

When guys start culling in a year like this - you are likely just shooting your 2023 trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
                      The 8pt looks 5 plus. Doubt its the 10 from last year, but the drought was brutal - and all of the places I keep up with have a buck herd down 20+++ inches, so it wouldn't totally surprise me.

For low fence hunters, this is one of those years that it's hard to give TBH advice on. My thoughts are pass what you can - as every buck across the board should be bigger next year.

When guys start culling in a year like this - you are likely just shooting your 2023 trophies.
                      Exactly!

Comment

Different buck

Comment

Working...
                        X