When to Fertilize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to Fertilize

When’s the best time to fertilize the food plot? When you plant the seeds or wait until they start growing?

I'd rather have it in the ground at planting, but water and cost factors against that now.
    Top dressing later is sufficient.

Comment

Ours goes in with the seeds.

Comment

What’s growing in this drought

Comment

When it was affordable I would put it in the grain drill with the seed. If not you will need to make sure you get a rain right after if you throw it on top of the ground.

Comment

When you're sure it's about to rain.

Comment

When it’s about to rain.

Comment

My chart says Nov 1st feed and pre-emergent...

Comment

Depends on your plot. Mine are broadcast
                  I prefer to wait till cooler weather and the grass / weeds don’t compete
                  I ain’t no farmer, but planted plots all life life
                  Last edited by Big pig; 11-06-2022, 06:21 AM.

Comment

We fertilize at planting then top dress a month or so later with nitrate. For the initial application I used tripple 13 or something similar for root growth. The nitrate will boost the top growth.

Comment

Depends on what the soil test indicates you need and the plants going in. I generally always try to put my seed in right before a rain and I'll do an application of granular fertilizer at that point in time. If I've got a perennial in the ground like clover then I'll apply foliar fertilizer generally in the spring if I've got a good canopy, otherwise I'll come back with granular if there are still some gaps.

Comment

Working...
                      X