Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Trapping Season 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ATTACH]1113105[/ATTACH]

Comment

He uses the grill or a camp chef 2 burner stove for wax dirt. Double pan it so it won't scorch.
      The cement mixers work well, you can use a pear burner to the heat the dirt also .
      Keep stirring til it changes color, then it's mixed and ready. It gets darker.

Comment

Got my first leg hold trap coyote. Used some deer brains in the hole. Young male. Going to reset Monday and try to catch the old one I see on camera. Thanks for all the information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good job!

Comment

Definitely more activity today. Missed 2 coyotes by literally 1/2” but times on my side. I have a crawl under that’s flooded so the coyotes come up to the water and pace back and forth so I put in a walkthrough set but added a coon tail with a little gusto to hopefully get them to hang around longer and put more feet on the ground. Last picture is a hide set I’m going to use a lot this year. Rebar stake on the middle and some lure and urine.
            Attached Files

Comment

Today was a two coyote day. Both caught using a K9 Extremes trap with wire levers on a flat set. One was on a deer hide the other on a deer leg. The half tailed female has been seen here for a few years so the property owner was happy to get her gone. The other was a really big mature male deer killer.
              Attached Files

Comment

Good job sharkhunter

Got done early at work, got home and got 4 trailer loads (garden trailer) hauled from wood pile to back porch and still had some light so loaded up some stuff and ran out to set a couple traps.
                Got one flat set in by 4 wheeler headlights and then it died, was about out of gas so headed back to house. Might get a couple more out tomorrow if we get done early enough.
                Hoping this cold weatrher gets them moving

Comment

I was curious about the weight of the larger coyote so I bought a fish scale that goes to 50 lbs. This big boy went exactly 44lbs. I wanted to make sure the scale was on so I tested with 2 20# dumbbells and it was exactly 40lbs so the scale is on. I had one a couple of weeks back I know for sure was much heavier. Not sure he was 50 or over but I sure wished I would have weighed him.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I caught one back around the first of the year that weighed about the same

Had the hide tanned

Not very common to catch them that big I was told but maybe that is not true

Comment

Big ol boar coon got in my trap
                      Was hoping with just a few pieces of scat and a squirt of coyote urine that the unwanteds would stay away

Comment

Another nice size male today. He makes
                        #9. Had two others that just missed the pan. My dang gloves got wet and before I was done I couldn’t feel my hands. Sat in the truck for about 30 min with the heater on to thaw out some.

MB 550 4 coiled on a compass set. Rebaited just about everything and used strong call lures. Finally seeing some good sign on travel routes.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by sharkhunter; 12-22-2022, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Sharkhunter
                          What do you do if anything for odor control when your around your traps or setting them?

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                            Sharkhunter
                            What do you do if anything for odor control when your around your traps or setting them?
                            So I would say nothing but I have developed some habits I do now without thinking. I always wear rubber boots. I always wear rubberized gloves when setting my traps but bait them bare handed. I make a point to not get bait or blood on my setting gloves. If I do I just rub them together with a good amount of sand away from the set to clean them up no big deal. I use a large rubber mat to kneel on when setting the traps. After I make the set I pick it up and dump it away from the set. I make a conscious effort not to spit or urinate within 30 to 50 yrds of any set. Lastly I try to be as efficient as possible. The longer you’re at a set the more dandruff, dead skin and scent you’re leaving on the ground. Get the set in and baited and get gone.

So now that I’ve listed them I guess I do a good amount of things for scent control but I really don’t think about it. It’s just part of a regiment I do. Hope that helps.
                            Last edited by sharkhunter; 12-22-2022, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                              Might want to make yourself some wax dirt if you have moisture coming too.

Looking forward to hitting it hard up here just after Christmas, we'll be down in Texas for 5 days then up to the ranch when we get back and out setting. Should have nice bobcats now after the cold we've had.
                              Your bobcats will get furry too after this cold snap.
                              Wish I had made some wax dirt now. Our ground because of the rain a couple of days ago is hard as a rock frozen this morning. Not sure how many of my sets are even functional.

Comment

I got totally schooled today by this cold weather. I was pretty certain that my dry sand / peat moss mix was going to keep things functioning but not even close. The moisture from the ground leached up into the dry bedding mix and froze it hard as a rock. So almost all of my sets are like this and not functioning. I dropped a 3 lb hammer on some and none fired. I re-worked about 12 sets and used wax paper as a moisture barrier. Hopefully that will keep them working tonight. Wax dirt will always be in my arsenal going forward. Lesson learned the hard way !
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X