Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
    Pipe dream set on that last one?
    Good eye but it’s a compass set with 4 pipes. I did get the idea from Zagger. Everything is totally covered and flat. The pipes keep the baits from washing away in the rain and it’s coon proof! It’s my go to set for bad weather and set shy coyotes.
    Last edited by sharkhunter; 12-12-2022, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Had an interesting day on the trap line. Had a friend jump in the window of the buggy scaring the hell out of me lol !

Picked up two nice males both on deer legs. Missed one on a dig out. He came in from the side and basically tunneled under my set and flipping my trap. Put another trap in and rebaited. He’s really going to have a hard time doing that again. Few more pictures of a nice buck and one of the crawl throughs I have snared and also a deer leg flat set. It’s wired to a 24” pc of rebar. A deer killers not going to pass that up lol !
      Attached Files

Comment

Now I know why you are so enthusiastic about trapping coyotes, with bucks like that! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
          Now I know why you are so enthusiastic about trapping coyotes, with bucks like that! Lol
          He has some nice ones for sure! Coyotes like them as well !

Comment

Dangit! I didn't make a note of what I had in this hole!
            The trap is long gone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221217_100559.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	24701081
            I washed all my traps at the car wash today. My son is bringing some black dye & black wax to me today, along with more Mark June Widowmaker and coyote & fox Frenzy.
            Gonna have sets waiting for them when this deep cold arrives next week.

Comment

That’s a smart move the cold weather is going to have them up and hunting big time! I’m going to try and get another 8 to 10 sets in Sunday. My coyotes are really following drainages so I’m going to set those areas heavy. From what I’m seeing they are predating heavily on coons right now. This property has very few rabbits if any. I found 4 raccoon kills just last week in the creek beds by coyotes. All good size coons. They just moved up the food chain.
              Last edited by sharkhunter; 12-17-2022, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Might want to make yourself some wax dirt if you have moisture coming too.

Looking forward to hitting it hard up here just after Christmas, we'll be down in Texas for 5 days then up to the ranch when we get back and out setting. Should have nice bobcats now after the cold we've had.
                Your bobcats will get furry too after this cold snap.

Comment

Sharkhunter, I've never know a coyote to eat a coon. At least in my experience. I've also read on this site that they won't touch them.
                  Your observations are very interesting.

Wytex, I have considered making waxed dirt, but never have. It would have been beneficial to me with all the rain we got in the last month.

Comment

Not their first food of choice but they will definitely pray on them when they are hungry. I had one killed and eaten out of one of my traps last year. I bet it was a real fight lol !

Wytex how are you heating your dirt to make the wax dirt ? I saw a pretty cool setup with a harbor freight cement mixer and a fish fried that really worked well.
                    Last edited by sharkhunter; 12-17-2022, 03:05 PM.

Comment

That looks like a pup un that video. He has some skills!

Comment

As Emeril says,
                        "Oh yeah, babe!"

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221217_163608.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	24701093

Comment

BTW, logwood trap dye "in the pot" smells like BBQ.

Comment

I caught my very first coyote on Widow Maker. Mark June makes a great product ! For some reason I smell BBQ now lol !

Comment

lots of good info….thanks

Comment

Cooked all my 20 traps in dye and waxed them.
                                All but 4 have previously been dyed, so they cooked the longest.

Comment

Working...
                                X