No announcement yet.

Pond and Lake Management Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats your thoughts on adding tilapia? Since they spawn multiple times in a short period they should be a good source of food for the bass, plus an added bonus fish to actually catch that don't taste too bad either.
    I know they will die out mostly around the early part of September, but seems like a better bang for your buck vs just adding minnows.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
      Do you have to have an applicator license's?
      You have to go through a certification course through Sepro (the manufacturer) to be able to purchase it.

Comment

Originally posted by MedicineMan7 View Post
        Whats your thoughts on adding tilapia? Since they spawn multiple times in a short period they should be a good source of food for the bass, plus an added bonus fish to actually catch that don't taste too bad either.
        I know they will die out mostly around the early part of September, but seems like a better bang for your buck vs just adding minnows.
        Your best option is bluegill. Tilapia will likely die.

Comment

I am looking to add more forage fish in one of our lakes in Lampasas. What minnow species would you all recommend? I have been working hard the last couple years. Added a lot of structure, dock, feeders etc. as well as culled a ton of fish. I only stocked minnows once about 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Lampasas View Post
            I am looking to add more forage fish in one of our lakes in Lampasas. What minnow species would you all recommend? I have been working hard the last couple years. Added a lot of structure, dock, feeders etc. as well as culled a ton of fish. I only stocked minnows once about 10 years ago.
            Bluegill. If you feel you need minnows you could add fathead at 2,000/ac

Comment

I dug my pond 6 yrs ago and I had Overton fisheries work with me on it. The first year 100 lbs of fat head minnows, coppernose bluegill, crawfish, shad, and Lone star legacy bass and there F1. last couple of yrs I stocked it with Tilapia in the summer and Rainbow trout in the winter. It has been a lot of work. The biggest bass so far was last spring 11.6 lbs. The main thing you have to stay on top of is them long legged gray fish eating birds and fresh water otters. Did you know for a bass to reach 1lb he has to eat 10lbs of bait fish! So feed feed feed that is whats great about the add of Tilapia they die in the winter and the rainbow die in the summer. Happy fishing
              Last edited by moon; 04-20-2022, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Applying a gypsum treatment to clear this pond this morning.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                  We had a few alligator weed and water primrose shorline treatments this past week.
                  72 hours after treatment.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I have an 1/2 acre pond that was probably not done correctly. I have trouble keeping the water levels up throughout the summer. The neighbor has a similar size pond that seems to never lose water. Any tips or tricks to keep it from leaking? Thanks so much!

Comment

Originally posted by BigCountry77 View Post
                      I have an 1/2 acre pond that was probably not done correctly. I have trouble keeping the water levels up throughout the summer. The neighbor has a similar size pond that seems to never lose water. Any tips or tricks to keep it from leaking? Thanks so much!
                      Lots of factors could play into it. If it is leaking from the bottom, the only effective solution is to drain and haul in clay or use a liner.

Comment

and haul in clay
                        when you haul in clay, how thick of a layer is normally recommended?

Comment

Originally posted by MedicineMan7 View Post
                          I thought tilapia spawned a few times a month, vs bluegill at once a month?

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
                            when you haul in clay, how thick of a layer is normally recommended?
                            That all depends on the current soil conditions
                            Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                            I thought tilapia spawned a few times a month, vs bluegill at once a month?
                            On an average tilapia spawn monthly and bluegill spawn several times through the year.

Tilapia produce fewer eggs per spawn than bluegill, and typically require restocking every year.

Comment

How many pounds of bass per surface acre per year should be culled?

Comment

Michael thanks for coming out, very knowledgeable

Comment

Working...
                                X