No announcement yet.

Pond and Lake Management Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would enjoy one that covered all things Channel cat in a tank. Just one of many that come to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you have a list shoot them to me in a PM! We don’t manage much for catfish, but I’m certainly open to discussing it in a future episode.

Comment

Pond and Lake Management Thread

Renovated the old pond. Lined it and it is about half full now. Second round of baitfish go in this week and the Camelot Bell bass go in in late May-June. Been feeding the baitfish heavy. Shallow side of the pond has 10 rock piles from 3-5’ tall and 5-8’ in diameter. When full they will all be submerged. Working on some lay downs this next couple weeks. Put in a bunch of structure this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by JeffJ; 04-03-2022, 02:27 PM.

Comment

That looks great Jeff!

Comment

Dream right there!

Comment

what does it cost to line a one acre pond? I'm debating options on a smaller pond that I have.

Also does the liner go all the way up the bank? Is there any fear of animals getting into the pond and then not being able to get out because of the slippery plastic? Also on a smaller pond, is it possible that the water would become stagnate with the liner and no rain and no way to naturally drain?

Comment

JeffJ, those pictures are awesome. That spot around the oak tree was very nicely done I can just imagine a bench, a fishing pole, and good whiskey many times at that spot.

Comment

Looks good Jeff. How many Camelots are you putting in? One suggestion I would wait at least a yr to allow the baitfish to establish themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                    Looks good Jeff. How many Camelots are you putting in? One suggestion I would wait at least a yr to allow the baitfish to establish themselves.
                    We will be 10.5-11 months after first baitfish went in. How many we put in will depend on how full it is at that point. They recommended I think 100 4-6” or 150 2-3” if it remains at current level.
                    Last edited by JeffJ; 04-04-2022, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
                      what does it cost to line a one acre pond? I'm debating options on a smaller pond that I have.

Also does the liner go all the way up the bank? Is there any fear of animals getting into the pond and then not being able to get out because of the slippery plastic? Also on a smaller pond, is it possible that the water would become stagnate with the liner and no rain and no way to naturally drain?
                      It has 2-4’ of soil on top of the liner. They rolled it 8 hours a day for almost a week to compact it. We are looking at a solar aerator if the bio thinks we need it. We also have a 2” line run from one of our wells. We can put groundwater in too.

Comment

Jeff how large of a lake is it?

Comment

Full it will be 2.5 surface acres. Currently I’d say it’s 40-50% full based on surface area.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
                            It has 2-4’ of soil on top of the liner. They rolled it 8 hours a day for almost a week to compact it. We are looking at a solar aerator if the bio thinks we need it. We also have a 2” line run from one of our wells. We can put groundwater in too.
                            just curious - so liner was because the soil had no clay in it? The place looks awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                              just curious - so liner was because the soil had no clay in it? The place looks awesome
                              It leaked constantly when it was over 1/3 full. Likely wasn’t built right 25 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                                We caught or first DD Camelot 4 yrs after stocking as a fingerling. They do grow fast
                                What size fingerlings did y’all put in?

Comment

Working...
                                X