• Show
Clear All

This is what Double Down recommends you do with their mineral:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	24677179

They claim that a deer will get a small amount of mineral every time they get a bite of corn. Not sure if it's true or not but it does make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
      This is what Double Down recommends you do with their mineral:
      [ATTACH]1080009[/ATTACH]

They claim that a deer will get a small amount of mineral every time they get a bite of corn. Not sure if it's true or not but it does make sense.
      I think its clever marketing. Not sure that it would really work better or worse than traditional methods.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech2004 View Post
        We have been feeding mineral the last 5 years. I have used LuckyBuck, Record Rack, and Purina minerals all designed for deer. We run 3 big pens with protein, corn and mineral site. After 5 years we have 3 holes in ground about a foot deep. From January to like August it seems like they destroy it and pretty much ignore it all fall. I'm not sure if the minerals are throwing the extra junk on our bucks or if its the protein we've been feeding but quality has improved drastically on a low fence 600 acre property.
        Purina has quality products. They are typically just very high, $20 for a 50-lb bag of protein feed at Tractor Supply for instance. However, in this case I think it their loose mineral is more affordable than Double Down. I believe a 25-lb bag of Purina Antlermax Loose Mineral is around $20 from Tractor Supply and I know the Double Down 50-lb bag of custom minerals is $100+. I haven't used both to compare the two so that's while I'll just say "more affordable" at this time. Also the Double Down Custom Minerals haven't been out long so it's hard to say if they truly are superior to the competitors from a mineral aspect.
        Last edited by breeds13; 02-08-2022, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Well, I ordered 150lbs of Redmond #10 fine (with Garlic). I am going to pour it out at all of our feed stations. We'll see how the deer take to it. The warehouse guys set it in my office and I had to take it back to the warehouse quickly because it does have a very strong garlic smell. Curious to see if our deer take a liking to it.

Comment

Guy I know did a taste test and was able to monitor it by a trail camera. The deer chose Double Down, so that's what he uses. It was a smart experiment, because the minerals they lack/need can be drastically different in different areas.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
              Guy I know did a taste test and was able to monitor it by a trail camera. The deer chose Double Down, so that's what he uses. It was a smart experiment, because the minerals they lack/need can be drastically different in different areas.
              I'm hoping my deer have cheaper taste and take the Redmond

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                I'm hoping my deer have cheaper taste and take the Redmond
                Agreed! Our deer are already eating a 20% pellet with an added mineral package and we will be adding these mineral sites this year to see what happens along with doing prescribed burning and fertilizing our plots/native habitat so they should have plenty to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                  Agreed! Our deer are already eating a 20% pellet with an added mineral package and we will be adding these mineral sites this year to see what happens along with doing prescribed burning and fertilizing our plots/native habitat so they should have plenty to choose from.
                  I never found any Redmond locally to put out. How have your deer taken to it? I'm still keeping my eyes open and will add once found.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                    If their feed has the "mineral package" they claim, there is no need to buy a spreader and add it to your dirt.

Not knocking it, but its great marketing.

I utilize a loose mineral formulated for white-tailed deer only because i do not feed a pellet with a complete mineral package.

Bingo.

Comment

If you are simply wanting to attract then salt is easiest and cheapest but they wont necessarily be looking for it in the winter. If you are wanting to help your heard health get a supplement with high calcium and potassium. Preferably 16% calcium and 8% phosphorus or higher. Your native soil can be lacking in these minerals and your heard may never realize their full potential. It is also good for the pregnant does as well as when they nurse fawns and will increase the overall vitality. One thing to think about is hogs. Seems like ours like to dig in the mineral sites. Another option is to use blocks in mounted platforms to keep away from the hogs. It also helps protect the blocks from rain. May take some time for deer to start using them but they eventually will. Most of the blocks that have the higher calcium/potassium also have molasses in them and will help deer find them mounted on the block platforms

Comment

good info.

Comment

U can make a mineral tube from pvc and hang it where hogs won’t get to it. Lot cheaper than what they sell.

Comment

I use the record rack deer minerals or the Purina. I’m a big believer in adding minerals.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                              I never found any Redmond locally to put out. How have your deer taken to it? I'm still keeping my eyes open and will add once found.
                              We put the Redmond minerals around each protein feeder along with a Trophy Rock and they haven’t touched either very much. They have touched the minerals more than the trophy rocks but not sure if it has to do with it being so dry or not. Brady Feed & Fertilizer adds an additional mineral package to our 20% pellet so they are probably getting plenty of minerals at the rate they are eating the feed. I’ll let you know if we see any other results.

Comment

Like said above I think deer in different regions need and utilize different types of minerals. I haven’t found Texas deer out west or east that like trophy rocks. But Oklahoma deer seem to really like them. I have also tried the granular “trophy rock” type mineral with similar results. I’ve tried the small mineral flavored blocks for deer with mixed results in Texas also. The best thing I have found so far either west tx or east is just the loose livestock mineral or the record rack loose mineral. I find a low spot near curb feeder, dug a small 12-18” hole then mix the mineral in the dirt. Doesn’t take a lot. As it rains it mixes in the dirt. The deer basically lick the dirt to get what they need. But try different types and see what your deer utilize. Different deer in different regions have different needs depending on what their local browse or feed does/doesn’t provide their body’s. There isn’t one magic pill that is best for all regions. I get mine from either tractor supply or Atwood’s.

Comment

Working...
                                X