No announcement yet.

Lack of Deer in Llano?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Big pig;15955622]You have feed pens?
    We have fenced our feeders and hogs are much fewer in numbers across the lease.
    I bet pigs and the coyotes have your fawn population down.

I would quit killing does for a while

Is it possible the large number of stags is a problem?[/QUOT

This^^^
    Since the end of the last season, we have trapped about 120 hogs off of our 2,600 ac lease. Coyotes are at an all time high this year. We arent seeing as many does yet, but they are out there. We have killed 3 stags this year and we know we have another half dozen or so out there.

Comment

Llano is to deer hunting as lake fork is to bass fishing once great but tons of attention has resulted in pressure and decline. Plenty of places in the state that don’t get talked about and are great now because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
        Llano is to deer hunting as lake fork is to bass fishing once great but tons of attention has resulted in pressure and decline. Plenty of places in the state that don’t get talked about and are great now because of it.
        Keep them quiet for us please.

Comment

Are these ‘stag’ deer that prominent? This seems very confusing if so.

Comment

Every bodies shooting them crossing the rivers, it’s easier that way.

Comment

Is the property overgrazed? No standing grass can lead to **** poor fawn survival.

Comment

This is why a survey is more valuable than people realize. Data trends over the years could pretty quickly answer your question.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln Hawk View Post
                  Is the property overgrazed? No standing grass can lead to **** poor fawn survival.
                  Had lots of rain in the area, grass/plants are tall and green.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                    Are these ‘stag’ deer that prominent? This seems very confusing if so.
                    Define prominent? 2500 acres, over last 20 plus years, we have killed several a year.

Not really confusing if you look at as a product of diet. They have nuts, they are just under developed. With that said some deer or does may carry a recessive trait for impaired or deformed adrenal glands etc

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett Harlan View Post
                      Had lots of rain in the area, grass/plants are tall and green.
                      What part of llano county are you in and how close are you to ag. When we have planted oats/winter wheat in past, our population jumps 5x

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                        Define prominent? 2500 acres, over last 20 plus years, we have killed several a year.

Not really confusing if you look at as a product of diet. They have nuts, they are just under developed. With that said some deer or does may carry a recessive trait for impaired or deformed adrenal glands etc
                        Interesting, I honestly can say I had never heard of this being an actual issue in a herd. Only a one off at time, usually an injury related event like a fence hang.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                          Interesting, I honestly can say I had never heard of this being an actual issue in a herd. Only a one off at time, usually an injury related event like a fence hang.
                          Oh no it not a rarity. But it is the best venison you have ever had. Even in dought years still be a predominant layer of fat all the way around.

Comment

Working...
                          X