New Bull for the Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
    He’s huge! How do they ship?…plane or trailer?
    That was my thoughts as well. How do they transport an animal like that?

And yes, he’s an awesome specimen for sure.

Comment

**** shame, I thought they quit this shipping deer and elk thing when CWD became a thing ? I just don't feel they should be treated like cattle, but that's me.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
        **** shame, I thought they quit this shipping deer and elk thing when CWD became a thing ? I just don't feel they should be treated like cattle, but that's me.
        So should cattle be treated like they are now? What makes it fine for cattle but not elk?

Comment

Well, cattle have been domesticated for what, hundreds of years now. Raised for the sole purpose as a food source. Try and keep an elk or deer in a three strand barb wire fence. Elk and deer are wild animals, that I don’t think should be looked at, treated as live stock. I could go on and on, but I just don’t feel they should be “ raised” behind a high fence or in an enclosure. If you have seen them in the wild they need far more room to roam then a cow or even a whitetail. I know not everyone feels the same, and to some it’s just $$$$$, and bragging rights. But your missing out on a HUGE experience ( hard work many times) not hunting or even seeing them in their natural environment.
          Last edited by critter69; 10-09-2021, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Well, cattle have been domesticated for what, hundreds of years now. Raised for the sole purpose as a food source. Try and keep an elk or deer in a three strand barb wire fence. Elk and deer are wild animals, that I don’t think should be looked at, treated as live stock. I could go on and on, but I just don’t feel they should be “ raised” behind a high fence or in an enclosure. If you have seen them in the wild they need far more room to roam then a cow or even a whitetail. I know not everyone feels the same, and to some it’s just $$$$$, and bragging rights. But your missing out on a HUGE experience ( hard work many times) not hunting or even seeing them in their natural environment.
            Im not a high fence hunter and wouldn't brag about something i ever shot on one so dont take what im saying the wrong way. But cattle, horses etc were all wild animals without bounds before man decided to contain them. Yes an ELK can jump a low fence but just because cattle and horses dont that makes its fine to confine them? I just think if you take the stance of freedom for the animal why does it stop at ELK? Also some people have livestock for other reasons than food sources, Like ag exemptions for their land which goes back to money. If people raise elk behind a fence for hundreds of years the time frame makes it okay then?

Comment

Looks 440, awesome bull!

Comment

*****!!

Comment

Originally posted by MillsJake View Post
                  Im not a high fence hunter and wouldn't brag about something i ever shot on one so dont take what im saying the wrong way. But cattle, horses etc were all wild animals without bounds before man decided to contain them. Yes an ELK can jump a low fence but just because cattle and horses dont that makes its fine to confine them? I just think if you take the stance of freedom for the animal why does it stop at ELK? Also some people have livestock for other reasons than food sources, Like ag exemptions for their land which goes back to money. If people raise elk behind a fence for hundreds of years the time frame makes it okay then?
                  I don’t believe there will be much land left in a couple hundred more years. To support domestic nor wildlife. ( and yes elk are considered wildlife and cows are not, at least in this century ) And cattle were actually domesticated 10500 years ago, as far as what I just researched. They are no longer ANY WHERE near what they used to be as far as being wild. They have been bred for “ production” weather it’s meat, milk, temperament or what ever. There would not be nearly as many cattle if they were still truly wild. Your kinda comparing a domestic dog to a coyote. Yes kinda the same but really truly not. And only time will if they “ breed” the wild out of elk or not, but they have had the same time frame as they have with cattle to do so, and it hasn’t really yet, but obviously some are trying to do it now. And would you really get the same thrill, feeling, enjoyment shooting a cow in a pasture, as you would hiking the mountains and shooting a truly “ wild” animal. If the day comes I have to shoot an elk or deer behind a high fence, I will buy beef from the grocery store instead. Again just my 2 cents.

Comment

I don’t believe there will be much land left in a couple hundred more years. To support domestic nor wildlife. ( and yes elk are considered wildlife and cows are not, at least in this century ) And cattle were actually domesticated 10500 years ago, as far as what I just researched. They are no longer ANY WHERE near what they used to be as far as being wild. They have been bred for “ production” weather it’s meat, milk, temperament or what ever. There would not be nearly as many cattle if they were still truly wild. Your kinda comparing a domestic dog to a coyote. Yes kinda the same but really truly not. And only time will if they “ breed” the wild out of elk or not, but they have had the same time frame as they have with cattle to do so, and it hasn’t really yet, but obviously some are trying to do it now. And would you really get the same thrill, feeling, enjoyment shooting a cow in a pasture, as you would hiking the mountains and shooting a truly “ wild” animal. If the day comes I have to shoot an elk or deer behind a high fence, I will buy beef from the grocery store instead. Again just my 2 cents.

No im comparing a ONCE wild animal to a now domestic animal. Its happened before and it can happen again. There are also several species of animal that would be extinct if it werent for animals being bred in captivity. My point is what makes DOMESTICATING one species okay but not another. Just your opinion is the only thing i can gather. Like i said im not a high fenced hunter nor do i think elk should be high fenced, but that also is MY opinion. I dont get mad at people who do it, nor tell them what to do. If its legal and it floats your boat go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by MillsJake View Post
                      No im comparing a ONCE wild animal to a now domestic animal. Its happened before and it can happen again. There are also several species of animal that would be extinct if it werent for animals being bred in captivity. My point is what makes DOMESTICATING one species okay but not another. Just your opinion is the only thing i can gather. Like i said im not a high fenced hunter nor do i think elk should be high fenced, but that also is MY opinion. I dont get mad at people who do it, nor tell them what to do. If its legal and it floats your boat go for it.
                      I dont give two ****s about about cows, let them run free, yes it would truly better that way.( but then man can’t make as much money on them) coyotes, wolves, bears would love to see domestic live stock turned back into the wild, we have bred the “ wild” right out of them over the thousands of years, 95% would never make it. Are you truly thinking that would ever happen again, we have bred them totally for the purpose of usefulness to us, it’s to late to return them to what they once were. We have not done that yet to deer and elk. Pull your head out. Elk and deer are still wild and I and I believe the majority of people would like to see it kept that way. Your trying to compare thousands of years of “ domesticating” it to some thing that really has no reason to be domesticated. My opinion yes, but then why hasn’t it been done ? And why do you even want to start that down hill slide with animals that are luckily still wild, just to destroy them for a financial gain ? Why are you so against leaving them wild ? We can’t turn back the hands of time, and replace the cattle that were “ wild” just like we can’t go back in history and change slavery. It happened, we should learn from it, it didn’t work, it wasn’t right , but we should not have to pay for it now. And I believe we learned a lesson. And yes you are sounding like a BLM, supporter.
                      Last edited by critter69; 10-09-2021, 01:52 PM.

Comment

I dont give two ****s about about cows, let them run free, yes it would truly better that way.( but then man can’t make as much money on them) coyotes, wolves, bears would love to see domestic live stock turned back into the wild, we have bred the “ wild” right out of them over the thousands of years, 95% would never make it. Are you truly thinking that would ever happen again, we have bred them totally for the purpose of usefulness to us, it’s to late to return them to what they once were. We have not done that yet to deer and elk. Pull your head out. Elk and deer are still wild and I and I believe the majority of people would like to see it kept that way. Your trying to compare thousands of years of “ domesticating” it to some thing that really has no reason to be domesticated. My opinion yes, but then why hasn’t it been done ? And why do you even want to start that down hill slide with animals that are luckily still wild, just to destroy them for a financial gain ? Why are you so against leaving them wild ? We can’t turn back the hands of time, and replace the cattle that were “ wild” just like we can’t go back in history and change slavery. It happened, we should learn from it, it didn’t work, it wasn’t right , but we should not have to pay for it now. And I believe we learned a lesson. And yes you are sounding like a BLM, supporter.

Maybe you didn’t read that I’m against high fencing animals? I just also don’t tell people how to live their lives. (It’s a good way to live your life) But clearly I stuck a nerve. I guess you can’t have a conversation without cussing and Telling me to pull my head out. Also am I in no way shape or form a BLM supporter. I’ll just go ahead and bow out due to the fact you got all hot and bothered by a conversation on the internet. Simmer down old timer. It’s going to be okay.

Comment

I grew up shooting low fence black angus with a blunt practicing for SA Cape Buff in San Saba. Nice bull OP! Don’t worry be happy!

Comment

Beautiful Bull

Comment

heat is no issue for Elk. it wont be the Texas heat that kills this big boy.

Comment

Wow! That's a bigun! Poor feller looks a little lost.

Comment

Working...
                                X