Clear All

Set out a coon trap a couple night ago and this was all that was left
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
      Set out a coon trap a couple night ago and this was all that was left
      That coon ate himself.

Comment

Be careful in hard ground with a Duckbill driver.
        This happened about 2 inches down on the 4th stake ever driven with this driver.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220116_134119.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	24674226

Comment

Going to set on a drag, I guess.

Comment

Just put 6 sets on a deer hide and rib cage, that is thrown into a brush pile. All along a road, three upwind and three downwind. No bait within a hundred yards of the carcass. Anything close has lure only. The caracaras tend to the scratch out sets that have bait in them if they smell them.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
              That bobcat will be hard to catch, the reason being because it’s targeting fawns and they are hard to use as bait. Cats generally travel the same trail to a hunting area. My advice would be to locate that trail and set for it there. Bobcats can be hard to get their attention so you have to use big attractors like duck/geese wings or Christmas tinsel to get them to your set. Good Luck!
              Agreed, trail sets are good for cats (and many other furbearers) if you can locate their primary routes. I like to mix the sets up - some scent/bait, some sight, some blind sets. Blind sets look (and smell) totally nature and usually rely on stepping sticks. Nothing to alert the animal that something is amiss on his natural route.

Comment

No action this morning at 5 a.m. when I left for work, and when I get back this is what I find. One dig out and two deer snaps.
                The coil spring trap was not tripped. Just dug out.

Also tracks at two other sets that missed the pan by probably half an inch.

Name:	20220119_184802.jpg
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	24674403

Name:	20220119_184931.jpg
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	24674404

Name:	20220119_185012.jpg
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	24674405

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                  No action this morning at 5 a.m. when I left for work, and when I get back this is what I find. One dig out and two deer snaps.
                  The coil spring trap was not tripped. Just dug out.

Also tracks at two other sets that missed the pan by probably half an inch.
                  [ATTACH]1077901[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1077902[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1077903[/ATTACH]
                  That’s the definition of frustration! Good to see the ol double long springs at work.

Comment

Glad I found this thread. I just dove head first into trapping and love it. I run 25 traps every morning and have another 18 on order. Been doing it one week and have caught 2 coyotes 1 bobcat, 2 pigs, 2 coons, 1 grinner. We lost 95% of our fawn crop last year. The county trapper will be doing sets on another section of our lease up the road.

1) Couple of questions. I had one trap sprung but no hair or sign at all what would do that you thing?
                    2)What pan tension are most running. I have it at free fall and night latched so it’s a hair trigger :-). Would I get a deeper catch if the pan tension was heavier you think?

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                      Glad I found this thread. I just dove head first into trapping and love it. I run 25 traps every morning and have another 18 on order. Been doing it one week and have caught 2 coyotes 1 bobcat, 2 pigs, 2 coons, 1 grinner. We lost 95% of our fawn crop last year. The county trapper will be doing sets on another section of our lease up the road.

1) Couple of questions. I had one trap sprung but no hair or sign at all what would do that you thing?
                      2)What pan tension are most running. I have it at free fall and night latched so it’s a hair trigger :-). Would I get a deeper catch if the pan tension was heavier you think?
                      I am no expert on any of it but 2.5-3.5# is good for coyotes from everything I have read

As far as the trap sprung hard to say with no hair but if it was out of bed at end of chain I would guess deer or pig in that order

Sounds like you are off to a good start

Comment

Finally got 22 sets out yesterday.
                        Ground was frozen solid but we were able to get the sets out in.
                        We have scattered snow cover which showed us all the bobcat tracks across the meadows, they were all over along the creek.
                        We also crossed some Mt lion tracks and hope we don't catch it, have to release mt lions in a trap and the stupid quota is full already.

Trying out some Tomcat and Badlands Bob from John Graham in our cubby sets. Fresh urine for coyote and some bobcat sets too.

We'll be setting and checking next 3 weeks, coyotes won't be worth much but bobcats should be very nice by now. Hoping to post some pretty fur later.

Keep up the good work guys !

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                          I am no expert on any of it but 2.5-3.5# is good for coyotes from everything I have read

As far as the trap sprung hard to say with no hair but if it was out of bed at end of chain I would guess deer or pig in that order

Sounds like you are off to a good start
                          The same trap was sprung again this morning. After some inspection I saw coon sign. It looks like he flipped it over and it fired. No evidence of any large animals. I did catch a 30lb pig in my Duke #3. Held him like a champ. With our thorn patches like they are it’s really easy to set snares on trails with sign. I’m starting to really like the snares and plan on running 20 to 30 of them.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post

Pan tension a little higher will help with the misses. Most of mine are probably around 3 or 4 pounds. It feels like a lot more but it works great. Bed your trap really well too.

Comment

I am at 11 coyotes for the month. A mix of snares and leg holds. No
                              Cat yet and he has killed two more fawns the last two nights.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X