Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Trapping season 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a coon in one set this morning.
    And, apparently this coyote doesn't understand how foot guiding is supposed to work.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20220210_082517.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	366.0 KB
ID:	24677259
    Had a little hog root out another set. Attracted to the fresh dirt, I guess.

Name:	20220210_083252.jpg
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	24677260

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
      Had a coon in one set this morning.
      And, apparently this coyote doesn't understand how foot guiding is supposed to work.
      [ATTACH]1080209[/ATTACH]
      Had a little hog root out another set. Attracted to the fresh dirt, I guess.
      [ATTACH]1080210[/ATTACH]
      Those big ol double long springs are cool ! I’d kill to have dirt like that. I got wet clay/ gumbo mud. Hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
        Those big ol double long springs are cool ! I’d kill to have dirt like that. I got wet clay/ gumbo mud. Hate it.
        Yeah, this sandy loam makes bedding and covering a trap pretty easy.

Comment

Question????? Does anyone trap a high fence place with exotics? I'm going to set a few traps for coyotes soon and they were worried about catching an expensive exotic. I told them they shouldn't both the trap sets. Am I right?

Comment

Originally posted by texaswoods5 View Post
            Question????? Does anyone trap a high fence place with exotics? I'm going to set a few traps for coyotes soon and they were worried about catching an expensive exotic. I told them they shouldn't both the trap sets. Am I right?
            I hear people all the time that are worried about trapping deer. It’s a non existent problem that I have no idea where the origin even came from. Even if they stepped in a trap a jaw trap is not designed to hold a hoofed animal. Now a snare that’s not properly set is another thing. I would only set those on dig unders on the HF and actually that’s going to be your most productive option and also the cheapest.

Comment

Three this morning. Best check I've ever had.
              All males. All deep pad catches. Two on spots that caught previously.

Name:	20220211_042834.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	24677296

Name:	20220211_043233.jpg
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	24677297

Name:	20220211_044226.jpg
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	24677298

Comment

Nice BK

I would not worry about catching a hoofed critter in a foothold trap, snare maybe.
                I have had deer get in trap, they jerk right out.

Comment

Really big female in one of my new k9 extreams this morning. The picture doesn’t do her justice. I bet she’s well over 45lbs. Caught her on a flat set using coyote blood from my last catch.

Walked some of the 1k acres up the road. Full of coyote sign. I’ll start placing sets on that property probably on Saturday.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by sharkhunter; 02-11-2022, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Deer usually aren’t a problem, but exotic sheep and goats can be. Even being careful it happens. A drag can even make things worse because they often hang up in brush and can act as a shock absorber.

Comment

[ATTACH]1080304[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1080305[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1080306[/ATTACH]
                      Looks like a good morning! Coyotes are getting worse it seems. Catch all of them.

Comment

[ATTACH]1080304[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1080305[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1080306[/ATTACH]
                        Man you getting after them !! Great work !

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                          Man you getting after them !! Great work !
                          Thanks. You too.
                          I just got lucky this morning and I was aligned with their travel routes.

Comment

Generally speaking foothold traps aren’t an issue for adult animals. When deer fawns hit the ground everything changes, a Sterling 600 will break their legs, ask me how I know. I have a lot of customers ask me about animals being harmed by foot holds, when they do I set one and trigger it on a gloved fist.

Comment

Something curious

So I went back this evening after work to remake the sets that caught this morning. The 1st set I found this. The coyote wound the chain around a little stob, or a little bush, then chewed the top off of the bush.

Name:	20220211_183127.jpg
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	24677335
                              Also, right when I was finishing up the remake on that first set. I hear hogs fussing in the brush about 75 yards from me. I had fortunately killed the engine on the Mule and they were moving nonchalantly thru the brush.
                              I moved toward them and waited as they began crossing an opening, then took this sow.

Name:	20220211_184147.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	24677336

Name:	20220211_184207.jpg
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	24677337

Comment

I've caught 3 coyotes in the last two days. Man they seem to be thick in Archer Co.

Comment

Working...
                                X