Camp rattlesnakes question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
    People have DIED from their bites. Not real common, but it HAS happened. Just saw the other day where care flight was involved on a deer lease cause of a rattler bite. Saw a pic here on tbh of a 4 year old in the hospital for a long time cause of a rattler bite at deer camp. I’ve killed 6-8, 2 yesterday in camp. I’ll go ahead and say it- you’re stupid if you let one live.
    Not real common as in your chances of being struck by lightning and killed are higher. Killing every snake you see is ignorance at its finest. What the hell is a 4 year old doing walking around a deer camp? What's the point in that? To me that's stupid. Don't make a lick of sense actually.

I get it snakes can be dangerous. But you're talking about deer camp. Not the playground.
    Last edited by okrattler; 06-01-2021, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
      I kill every rattle snake that I see, I'll even swerve on the highway to run one over.

A rattle snake with no rattles is a horrible combination and should have been killed.

I've hunted places that have chicken wire all around the yard of the camp/ranch house. I'm making some ground blinds out of cattle panels and will be putting chicken wire on the bottom 2ft of it.
      My grandma used to put chicken wire around her garden to keep the pest out. A snake squeezed through and pulled its rattles off once. Just kind of an odd coincidence I thought considering the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
        None. Have plenty of cousins,a little sister and a niece that understand that some snakes are dangerous,what they eat and why they're on this earth. It's not rocket science and it's not hard for kids to watch where they're going or what is going on around them.

If I was worried about my kid getting bit my kid wouldn't be out there jackin around where they could get bit. If I was paying for a lease to hunt on my kids likely wouldn't be out there running around hollering and screaming and everything else anyway until they were older and mature enough to pay attention or worry about whether or not they're gonna get bit so that I wouldn't have to.

I'm just going by how I was raised and how I've seen other kids raised because their parents were raised like I was. Even going out to play at my grandparents house we heard "watch for snakes" all the time. Where I am now is where I grew up. The middle of nowhere. Stickers and snakes is all that's out here. If you're around something all the time it's not hard to remember to watch out for it.

You could have just stopped at none, and save you and us the rest of the bull****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          You could have just stopped at none, and save you and us the rest of the bull****.

Made a lot more sense than this horse **** about kids getting bit at DEER CAMP!!! That's retarded. It ain't a god **** playground.

I don't have to have kids to understand that. That's like saying well my kid routinely plays in the street. Don't think a car could hit that kid eventually?
          Last edited by okrattler; 06-01-2021, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Statistics show on average 200 people and thousands more are injured in the United States every year by having a collision with a deer. So lets say you're on your way to deer camp and one jumps out and you hit it and your kid dies. Is it the deers fault or yours because you fill protein feeders and attract so many to that particular area? It's kind of a hot spot for deer ain't it? It's not much different. Might be a good thing to watch out for. Just sayin.

Comment

Made a lot more sense than this horse **** about kids getting bit at DEER CAMP!!! That's retarded. It ain't a god **** playground.

I don't have to have kids to understand that. That's like saying well my kid routinely plays in the street. Don't think a car could hit that kid eventually?

Ironic that you’d use “retarded”, in that context, while attempting to make yet another stupid point.

Comment

Ironic that you’d use “retarded”, in that context, while attempting to make yet another stupid point.

Funny how you can post insults but so far nothing has been proven as fact as to how killing a snake somehow reduces the chances of more coming into camp or how I'm wrong in any way. Because I'm not. It's common sense and facts that I've been posting. Nobody said anyone is wrong whether they choose to kill snakes around camp or whether they don't. But it's fact that as long as they have a reason to be there they will be there regardless. That's not stupid that's just how it is.

Deer camp can be a dangerous place. When you're in the middle of nowhere anything can happen. That's a true statement. I didn't just make these statistics up or this way of thinking. If you're where snakes are your chances of a snake bite goes up. If your kid is running around there, their chances of getting bit goes up. What can you really do about it? Well.......Not a lot if you're out there amongst them. It's always a possibility.

Comment

Nature has a way of restoring itself so regardless of how many you kill that danger will always be present. Female snakes can reproduce through asexual reproduction or Parthenogenesis. So lets say out of 30 snakes in a den you miss 10 and most are females. It only takes one snake to have up to 25 babies then you're back to square 1. So no in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter one way or another. If truth be told by killing them it's most likely no different than trying to control the coyote population on your deer lease. The more you kill the better off the population will be in the long run.
                  Last edited by okrattler; 06-01-2021, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Nature has a way of restoring itself so regardless of how many you kill that danger will always be present. Female snakes can reproduce through asexual reproduction or Parthenogenesis. So lets say out of 30 snakes in a den you miss 10 and most are females. It only takes one snake to have up to 25 babies then you're back to square 1. So no in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter one way or another. If truth be told by killing them it's most likely no different than trying to control the coyote population on your deer lease. The more you kill the better off the population will be in the long run.
                    If they reproduce that fast, then I'm absolutely convinced that they are in the same category as pigs and killing as many as I can is necessary to control the population.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

This is why we can't have big foot in TX. We kill everything.

Side note, big foot or no foot both are getting killed. For every 1 snake we see, 9278393862572902 are waiting to take its place.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                        If they reproduce that fast, then I'm absolutely convinced that they are in the same category as pigs and killing as many as I can is necessary to control the population.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
                        It's not reproducing fast it's reproducing and having a bunch at one time. They only have babies once a year. Like I said nature has a way of making a come back so killing snakes is about as counter productive as shooting coyotes. They'll just have more babies than normal when it's time.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                          I give them a pass too. Part of the ecosystem.
                          As is every other living thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                            This is why we can't have big foot in TX. We kill everything.

Side note, big foot or no foot both are getting killed. For every 1 snake we see, 9278393862572902 are waiting to take its place.
                            Which is one less than previously. and even more reason to whack one that is in skimming distance. I leave the nice snakes. I used to kill em all, but getting soft in my old age.

Comment

Close thread.

Comment

Hogs and rattlesnakes and democrats are a lot alike. Remove their easy food source and they move on. Put out a lot of Tom Cat or Just One Bite poison and get rid of your rodents and the snake problem will most likely fix itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X