No announcement yet.

Dove plot mgmt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planted black oil sunflowers and a turner seed dove mix last weekend to try and get a head start on the rain. it was my first time planting so hopefully it was not to early and it comes up without cattle or wildlife eating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Made View Post
      Planted black oil sunflowers and a turner seed dove mix last weekend to try and get a head start on the rain. it was my first time planting so hopefully it was not to early and it comes up without cattle or wildlife eating it.
      I did about exactly the same, we got about 1/2 inch last night, hopefully it will sprout if there was any seed left, the dove, pigeons, and other birds were hammering it for the past two weeks.

Comment

I have had horrible luck with both cattle and deer eating my peredoviks. Last year the deer wiped out 2.5 acres in a single week. I'm trying a spray repellent called Deer Out this year. Its got peppermint oil in it which supposedly deer hate. Will spray in about 10 days or so after germination.

It gets good reviews so we shall see.

Comment

The deer wiped out my black oil hybrids I got from Turners last year. Came up great & were flowering out great. Came back 2 weeks later & 5 acres gone.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post

I have had horrible luck with both cattle and deer eating my peredoviks. Last year the deer wiped out 2.5 acres in a single week. I'm trying a spray repellent called Deer Out this year. Its got peppermint oil in it which supposedly deer hate. Will spray in about 10 days or so after germination.

It gets good reviews so we shall see.
            Keep me updated on how that works. I planted about 5 acres and do not have high hopes for it to make it to dove season due to cows and goats. Fencing is not an option as I could probably be on a dove lease with a lot better bird numbers for many years with the amount of money I would spend on fencing. My only hope is I tried to spread areas out so maybe at least one area will be successful.

Comment

whats the latest to plant peredoviks to have ready for 9/1?

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
                whats the latest to plant peredoviks to have ready for 9/1?
                Its a 100 day crop so if you plant right now they would be maturing around Aug 20th if my math is right. if you broadcast the seed and cover them sometimes it takes a good rain to get them to germinate. If you use a planter then they usually germinate within a few days. The ones I planted 9 days ago with my row planter are already up and about 2-3 inches tall.

Comment

Im getting ready to plant about 50 acres of sunflowers around this pond. Im looking forward to a great season

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3086(1).jpg
Views:	168
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	26788851

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
                    Im getting ready to plant about 50 acres of sunflowers around this pond. Im looking forward to a great season

Name:	IMG_3086(1).jpg
Views:	168
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	26788851
                    Heck yeah! Post some pics of the process!

Comment

I got mine in yesterday and raining today so hopefully ill get a few up

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
                        I got mine in yesterday and raining today so hopefully ill get a few up
                        Gotta love that!

Comment

Perdoviks are doing good. Deer have left them alone so far. Need to spray clethodim to kill the grass next week.

Name:	IMG_20240524_142027.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	26799457 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240524_142010.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	26799456

Comment

Name:	IMG_4821.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	26802140 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4822.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	26802141 Got the first of the sunflowers going, hope it rains some, its been very dry down here with only a few/tenths over the past few months. Our early dove season is normally great with plenty of birds, but it slows down early october. If these sunflowers take alittle longer to germinate thats ok. We also do alot of december dove hunting, so these 30-50 acres of sunflowers will be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post

Name:	IMG_4821.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	26802140 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4822.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	26802141 Got the first of the sunflowers going, hope it rains some, its been very dry down here with only a few/tenths over the past few months. Our early dove season is normally great with plenty of birds, but it slows down early october. If these sunflowers take alittle longer to germinate thats ok. We also do alot of december dove hunting, so these 30-50 acres of sunflowers will be nice.
                              Nice setup for planting that much acreage!

Last year it rained all of May on them and then the spigot turned off in June-July completely. The perdoviks still managed to flower and have decent seed heads. The plants ended up being 3 feet tall instead of 5 or 6 like during a rainy summer.

Comment

Got a nice rain on them last night, over an inch, hope that they do their thing.

spraying weeds and fertilizer will be next, also might do some "bird buffet", chicory, etc for the quail and turkey
                                Last edited by MAP; 05-29-2024, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X