No announcement yet.

Dove plot mgmt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=DUKFVR;n26508979]Got to the ranch & had 1 1/2 of rain since last trip a few weeks ago. Sunflowers are doing great!

Had a rouge one bloom early.

Plants are looking really healthy as is that rogue bloom! T minus 11 weeks to hopefully a sky full of dove!

Comment

Nice! I'll check mine out Saturday. Hopefully they will be coming along like yours. I'll be at day 46 close to halfway there

Comment

My Dad called this morning and thanked me for feeding his deer. He said that they had pretty much wiped out one of my sunflower fields (1 acre).....the deer had not touched the other plot 100 yds from it. Go figure. He's supposed to send me some pics this evening.

The Grimes County fields are looking good...we sprayed Clethodim last week to knock back the grass, but it also had alot of broadleaf weeds in it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
          My Dad called this morning and thanked me for feeding his deer. He said that they had pretty much wiped out one of my sunflower fields (1 acre).....the deer had not touched the other plot 100 yds from it. Go figure. He's supposed to send me some pics this evening.

The Grimes County fields are looking good...we sprayed Clethodim last week to knock back the grass, but it also had alot of broadleaf weeds in it as well.
          Glad to hear that Steve. Hope they leave the other plot be.

Comment

Didn’t have my phone on me
            but deer are hammering my plot. Done ate up Probably half of the sunflowers, glad I over seeded. The others though they haven’t eaten up, the leafs look droopy like someone came and sprayed them with poison, but they haven’t been. Strange maybe need water?

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
              Didn’t have my phone on me
              but deer are hammering my plot. Done ate up Probably half of the sunflowers, glad I over seeded. The others though they haven’t eaten up, the leafs look droopy like someone came and sprayed them with poison, but they haven’t been. Strange maybe need water?
              Yep 100 degrees will do that to them. Dang deer.....

Comment

Yep 100 degrees will do that to them. Dang deer.....
                Are they going to make it if the leaves are dropping? Or are they done for

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post

Are they going to make it if the leaves are dropping? Or are they done for
                  They will make it and perk up the next rain you get. Assuming its not a month from now and still 100.

Comment

They will make it and perk up the next rain you get. Assuming its not a month from now and still 100.
                    last rain was 0.5” a week ago

Comment

Planted millet,sunflowers,and sorghum 1st of April,just hope we keep getting rain.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I have planted milo seed that you buy for quail. They claim not all the seed produces but its cheap compared to most other seeds.

Comment

Looking decent in Grimes County.

​​​​​​​

Comment

When do the we native sunflowers usually seed out? Do yall shred strips or turn cows in or any thing before dove season to bust them up?

Looking at planting some this fall. I like the idea of being able to plant once and just stir them up every year. I don't have enough faith in the rain to plant every spring.

Comment

Originally posted by BRUTE 23 View Post
                              When do the we native sunflowers usually seed out? Do yall shred strips or turn cows in or any thing before dove season to bust them up?

Looking at planting some this fall. I like the idea of being able to plant once and just stir them up every year. I don't have enough faith in the rain to plant every spring.
                              I'm with you on planting natives. We've got a little plot of them now but want to expand it to about 5 acres. Natives are kinda weird in that they will start dropping seeds pretty quickly (some of mine look like they will start to drop in a week or two)....but they will also keep making flowers as well so you get a continuous supply through dove season.

I start mowing strips about August 15 and then again a day or two before season starts.....stagger out the seed supply.

Comment

I was excited to go up to the ranch this past weekend after not going for a month and knowing it had rained a decent amount. Turned into a bust really quick. All food plots have been destroyed by cows. I knew the cows would affect them some but I didn't think they would completely wipe them out as much other green as we have, as many different plots as we have and the space between them. But they are gone. At a minimum I didn't think they would touch the sunflowers but they ate the planted ones as well (native are still there). I won't plant food plots again until we get rid of the cows which may be never.

Our dove plot at home however is looking fantastic and it is already full of doves. Fingers crossed it stays that way for 2 more months.

Comment

Working...
                                X