Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Wildlife Water Station (Info needed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Huntin Addict View Post

Man I like that!! Thanks for the info!! Might have to expand my water station next year. How long will that usually last you mid summer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How many gallons per month/week etc are you losing via evaporation or wildlife use for your water stations?

Comment

Totes

We bought Little Giant waterers from Tractor Supply - comes with enclosed float. Look online for female fitting that screws directly on tote threads, found some that screw on and has water hose fitting made to it. Makes it easy. Hang waterer on feeder pen panel inside feed pen. Water guzzlers also with R panel roof that runs to gutter and then fills tote with rain water.

Comment

Originally posted by Reel cajun View Post
          We bought Little Giant waterers from Tractor Supply - comes with enclosed float. Look online for female fitting that screws directly on tote threads, found some that screw on and has water hose fitting made to it. Makes it easy. Hang waterer on feeder pen panel inside feed pen. Water guzzlers also with R panel roof that runs to gutter and then fills tote with rain water.

This is the one I bought on the right.

Comment

I bought the same kind. Here is what I have learned. 1. Throw away the rubber hose and use a braided steel line for a washing machine. 2. Don’t bury it in the ground. If you have hogs they will bathe in it. 3. Make sure how you mount it you can dump it out to clean it. They catch leaves, dirt, and bits of food from the deers mouth after they eat. 4. Make sure you mount it securely. If for any reason it gets out of level it will just keep running water.

Comment

Originally posted by Jzoch View Post
              Man I like that!! Thanks for the info!! Might have to expand my water station next year. How long will that usually last you mid summer?

About two months.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper87 View Post
                I bought the same kind. Here is what I have learned. 1. Throw away the rubber hose and use a braided steel line for a washing machine. 2. Don’t bury it in the ground. If you have hogs they will bathe in it. 3. Make sure how you mount it you can dump it out to clean it. They catch leaves, dirt, and bits of food from the deers mouth after they eat. 4. Make sure you mount it securely. If for any reason it gets out of level it will just keep running water.
                I like the washing machine line idea. Nice

Comment

Originally posted by Reel cajun View Post
                  Got a pic of your setup?

Comment

Comment

Nice setups that should work.

Comment

We put roofs over the top to catch the rain and keep them in the shade. Only need to put water in them during the bad droughts.

Comment

Comment

I like bigger troughs...I like for multiple deer to be able to use them at a time... Yes there is some evaporation but really not much more than the little metal dish troughs.

I have two 275 gallon totes at each pen (started with one but "upgraded") so I have to fill less often. I think we have 8 feedpens maybe 9 that have water systems. You've pretty much got it covered but I add 1/4 bottle of bleach per 275 gallon to the to keep algae away. Once you get algae it can be too late. Yes you can kill it with beach but you also leave the dead algae in the tank to possibly pass through and clog your float hole. I prefer to have it algae free and have been since 2014 with that mixture. The bleach from the initial fill of the trough pretty much evaporates sitting in the trough over time ....then the refill via the float is so low and slow that there is not enough to bother the deer. Nearly ever animal that enters that pen, drink from the trough while hunting and my trail camera on it says the same. To me its just as important as the feed. Heck when its real green or the acorns or heavy I've had deer jump in to get water and jump right back out not paying an attention to the corn on the ground.

We use the standard 275 totes, paint them black, cover them with plywood to keep heat off them and use braided washing machine hoses to keep varmints from wrecking them and to keep them from cracking during freezing as well. I use a 30 plus gallon trough from tractor supply on one pen and 1/3 of a blue plastic 55 gallon drum with a lid strap around it for strength on my second trough. They have been going strong since 2014. I place a rock and or a stick in them to allow birds/ small animal that fall in to get out. Make sure the totes are

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1764.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	24620854

Name:	IMG_1763.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	24620855

Name:	IMG_1868.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	24620859

Name:	IMG_1942.jpg
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	24620856

Name:	Seismic water 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	24620857

Name:	Water install.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	24620858

Name:	000 Seismic water6.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	24620860

Name:	000 Seismic water1.jpg
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	24620861

Second pen to show a pic of the 1/3 55 gallon drum trough w/ lid strap. Super cheap and super easy. Still going strong in year 7.

Name:	slacker trough.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	24620862

Name:	IMG_3961.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	24620863

Name:	0 trough.JPG
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	24620864

Name:	slacker trough1.jpg
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	24620865

Name:	IMG_2192.jpg
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	24620866

Name:	000slkrwater.jpg
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	24620867

Comment

Here is a list of the conversion parts for the 2" threaded tote holes.

Name:	0 fittings.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	24620868

Name:	0 fittings-1.JPG
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	24620869

Float and trough parts

Name:	0 trough.JPG
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	24620870

Name:	inline brass fittings.jpg
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	24620875

Name:	0 HD MGH 90Elbow.jpg
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	24620871

Name:	0 HD MGH 90Elbox.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	24620872

Also...we bought a Harbor Freight 2" clearwater pump in 2014. After each use when we put it up for the weekend, we drain the water from the pump area using the drain plug (you'd be surprised how much is left in there) to keep it from tarnishing or going bad and we drain the carburetor bowl. I used a carabiner and attached a 10mm wrench to the frame of the pump for easy access to do so.. .and so there is no excuse for not draining it . Still starts by the second pull after choke starting its 7th year as well. If you look close you can see the water pump drain plug that is hand tightened.

Name:	IMG_0764.jpg
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	24620873
                              Last edited by Smart; 06-14-2020, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                Here is a list of the conversion parts for the 2" threaded tote holes.

[ATTACH]1007234[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1007235[/ATTACH]

Float and trough parts

[ATTACH]1007236[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1007241[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1007237[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1007238[/ATTACH]

Also...we bought a Harbor Freight 2" clearwater pump in 2014. After each use when we put it up for the weekend, we drain the water from the pump area using the drain plug (you'd be surprised how much is left in there) to keep it from tarnishing or going bad and we drain the carburetor bowl. I used a carabiner and attached a 10mm wrench to the frame of the pump for easy access to do so.. .and so there is no excuse for not draining it . Still starts by the second pull after choke starting its 7th year as well. If you look close you can see the water pump drain plug that is hand tightened.

[ATTACH]1007239[/ATTACH]

Awesome!! Thanks for the info!!

Comment

Working...
                                X