• Show
Clear All

Mega doe in the peas. Found fawn tracks just outside plot in staging area
    Attached Files

Comment

@ the 1 month mark
      Attached Files

Comment

We FINALLY got some rain at the farm... after 15 days with nothing.
        The half acre Alyce clover / Joint Vetch patch, coming in a little thin.

The 3/4-1 acre dove plot... probably a little too thickly seeded

2 acre main plot, also thinner than I would like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve got a low deer population but they found the peas and have started hammering in the past week. Last year peas grew to maturity in other plots. Would it be worthwhile to throw out some fertilizer to help with the growth to counteract browsing or just let them mow it down and wait until fall to fertilize the crop that gets planted then.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
            I’ve got a low deer population but they found the peas and have started hammering in the past week. Last year peas grew to maturity in other plots. Would it be worthwhile to throw out some fertilizer to help with the growth to counteract browsing or just let them mow it down and wait until fall to fertilize the crop that gets planted then.

Peas are a legume, so adding nitrogen isn’t all that beneficial. If you do add some fert, I would pick a low N and high P&K mix.

What type of pea is this?

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post

What type of pea is this?
              Iron and clay. Good point on low N fertilizer for peas, forgot about that. In the past I’ve had no luck finding any type low N fertilizer for clover in this area.

Comment

0-20-20 would be a good choice if you can find it, but it’s scarce as hen’s teeth around here. When I had big clover plots I’d buy a pallet of it at a time and my feed store guy was good enough to store it at his place. He still gets it for me if I tell him a couple weeks in advance.

I’ve never fertilized IC peas after planting, so I can’t say if it would help. I planted peas and buckwheat in these plots and looks like I got carried away with the peas !
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post

There’s really nothing that will help “get ahead”. The deer will just live in the plots till gone. It’s almost impossible to plant peas in less than 2 acre plots and get em past July. I got a good jump on em at dairy plots with early planting and enough thatch to hide them. They are probably around a ton per acre now, so at worst I’ll call that a win. The Cottonmouth... not so good. As of last week it’s 80% killed. I’ll overseed with some leftover millet at next rain to try and grow thatch at least. Maybe buckwheat since I got moisture

Comment

I was thinking about broadcasting some millet or buckwheat (if I can find any)since this is a new plot. Not too late in the season for that assuming we get some rain?

Comment

If we get rain

Comment

A little update on my kill plot

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                          A little update on my kill plot

That looks great. What are the details of the plot? What and when did you plant and what size is the plot?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertx View Post
                            That looks great. What are the details of the plot? What and when did you plant and what size is the plot?

Planted May 9th, so 3 weeks ago. Planted I&C Peas, Soy Bean, and Sunflower and a heavy dose of fertilizer. This plot is a little over a quarter acre

Comment

Went and checked the plots a week later...

The dove plot is rocking finally.... 5 weeks after planting.

The main plot was in such bad shape I forgot to take a picture of it while trying frantically to find half of the species I planted...

And the Alyce Clover / Joint Vetch is weedy, but coming in.

Comment

3 dove plots from our Wise county farm. Planted 6 weeks ago and got really lucky with the rain. First couple weeks we had small rain cells that just happened to hit our place.

First picture is 5 acre field with milo, brown top millet and peredovik sunflowers. Seed was drilled into bare dirt.

Second picture is 1 acre field with brown top millet and native sunflowers. Natives didn’t come up. Seed was broadcast and dragged on bare dirt.

Third picture is 2 acre field milo, millet, peredovik and native sunflowers. Natives didn’t come up much but everything else did. See was broadcast on bare dirt and dragged.

Interested to hear comments. We definitely threw extra seed and I think it shows. Not sure if the density will be a problem. Didn’t use any fertilizer.

Hoping we continue to get good rain and some dove in September!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X