No announcement yet.

New place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unclefish, It looks like you're on the right track. I like you fish management program. You have a jewel of a fishing place! Keep us posted & good luck!

Comment

Very interesting happenings in the duck pond (brood pond). We put threadfin shad in it over a month ago hoping for a spawn. No other fish other than some shiner Fri last weekend. It's totally separate from any other watershed.

Today my son is walking around the pond and notices some bigger darker fish than the adult shad he normally sees. He gets a cast net and catches some.

Largemouth bass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

I guess some tiny bass fry got sucked up in our pump from the main lake and into the duck pond and survived. He caught 29 out of there today. Crazy.

Comment

Do you have a screen on your pimp intake?

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
            Very interesting happenings in the duck pond (brood pond). We put threadfin shad in it over a month ago hoping for a spawn. No other fish other than some shiner Fri last weekend. It's totally separate from any other watershed.

Today my son is walking around the pond and notices some bigger darker fish than the adult shad he normally sees. He gets a cast net and catches some.

Largemouth bass.

Wish I had a bunch of those for my place. LOL!
            When I talked to Overtons about bass, he suggested tryin to get some bass out of local ponds. He said his are raised on pellets & I needed some wild brood fish that know how to eat fish. Basically, being I had google eyes in the pond, he said wild bass would help thin them out quicker or something to that effect. Still may have to go with bass from them.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
              Do you have a screen on your pimp intake?
              Yes with very small openings. Maybe a 1/4 inch hole. Those fry had to be miniscule.

Comment

Those bass been eating good unfortunitely for you.

Comment

We got 11 more fingerling bass out of the brood pond this weekend. Didn't see anymore but I'm sure there are more in there. They are gorging themselves on the shiner fry cause they look like mini footballs.

The good news is that we saw some shad spawning in the shallows so hopefully will have thousands of shad fry shortly. We also saw thousands of shiner fry in the brood pond too so it looks like they are doing well.

Comment

Finished building a fence so no one rolls off the slope. [emoji6]

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

I picked up some Lonestar Legacy bass (Pure Florida strain from the Camelot Bell line) from Overtons today. I put 100 in the brood pond that has tens of thousands of golden shiner fry. They should get fat in a hurry.

I dumped the other 300 in the big lake in 3 different spots with some laydown willow trees for protection.

Last edited by unclefish; 05-29-2021, 10:08 PM.

Comment

What a great thread, can’t believe I just found it. Good luck with your LMB stocking.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                            I picked up some Lonestar Legacy bass (Pure Florida strain from the Camelot Bell line) from Overtons today. I put 100 in the brood pond that has tens of thousands of golden shiner fry. They should get fat in a hurry.

I dumped the other 300 in the big lake in 3 different spots with some laydown willow trees for protection.

You are going to be amazed at the growth rate. Brother caught 11.6 few weeks ago. 5yrs old

Comment

Nice place ! I love it !

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                                You are going to be amazed at the growth rate. Brother caught 11.6 few weeks ago. 5yrs old
                                Woah...that's awesome Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                                X