• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dam good luck man,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
      Normally if the buck is at a corn pile early season he is there a lot during the night and usually just before daylight. There is always a real good chance of bumping the deer unknowingly on the way in. You can somewhat circumvent this with cellular cameras and slipping in if he is not there, but there is always the off chance he is in the woods nearby. Usually an early season afternoon hunt is best because access is very clean and you can slip out before he shows up or kill him if he makes the daylight mistake.

I think all of us have made the mistake of overhunting a big deer. Like mentioned above, hunt with the wind in your face and choose your shots. Unless your access is impeccable. I would invest in a covert or other cell cam with a solar panel and rechargeable batteries. A cellular camera will certainly help you be more effective and efficient with your scent in the area.

Originally posted by bige2461 View Post
      I do have a cell camera in place and I plan on not hunting that stand until I get him more frequently. I have not had him on camera the last couple of weeks so for now, I will keep refreshing the corn piled on the ground every 2-3 weeks and wait. From my experience as most people already said, big bucks like this move a lot at dark so the best chance to see him is going be right at dusk or with little light left in the evening at this time of the year and based on temperature. I have seen in past years big bucks like this showing back up 2 other times, one is the rut which he could show up anytime morning or evening chasing a doe or post rut when its getting colder usually after thanksgiving around first to mid December coming into corn. I have shot my share of bucks during the rut but I have witnessed friends, family, and myself shooting bigger bucks over a pile of corn in between Thanksgiving and the first 2 weeks of December. I will keep y'all up-to-date of what happens but for now I'm laying low and watching my cell camera.

I will appreciate any prayers in me getting this buck. I'm a praying man in all matters of my life including hunting.
      I hope you get him before the rut starts because once it starts, the strategy will completely change. I totally agree with the afternoon hunting tactic. TShelly described my mature bucks exactly spot on. They will stay within 100 yards of the feeder all night.

Comment

How many acres is your place? No prior experience?

Looks like a HF deer to me ll

Comment

Just over 100 acres and I can promise you this is not a high fence deer as there's no high fence operations within several miles of this place.

Comment

Just over 100 acres and I can promise you this is not a high fence deer as there's no high fence operations within several miles of this place.
            TBH rule of thumb...all big deer live or have lived inside a HF at some point. Lol ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That’s a absolute brute!!!

Comment

Wow! Got some HF genes in him, that deers been breed to that but if he’s on low fence and on your place you have a crack at 200” deer or close to it. Kill him let’s see the dead deer pics

Comment

Wow good luck getting him.

Comment

Wow, good luck!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah I'm not sure how everyone is convinced he had to be a HF deer.

That buck killed in collin county a few years back looked very similar to him, and He went over 200 inches. I know exactly where he was killed ( a couple miles from my parents) and there's not a high fence place within 30 plus miles. Native deer can absolutely grow like that.

Comment

Working...
                      X