"Culling Doesn't Work in Wild Populations"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I disagree with this research.
    We had 1100 ac to ourselves in blanco county.
    Me and my brother hunted exclusively for 3 years shooting no brow 3 year olds and 2 year old spikes.
    4th year we had some great bucks showing up - way better than when we started.
    Unfortunately my dad allowed his best friend to join us and wiped out the good deer in about 3 months of gun hunting.

Point is it works- if you have good #s pop the 3 year old no brow 6pt standing next to the 3 year old 10pt. You will have better deer with time

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
      Me and my brother hunted exclusively for 3 years shooting no brow 3 year olds and 2 year old spikes.
      Unfortunately my dad allowed his best friend to join us and wiped out the good deer in about 3 months of gun hunting.

Point is it works- if you have good #s pop the 3 year old no brow 6pt standing next to the 3 year old 10pt. You will have better deer with time
      You are still not doing anything to genetics of the place. I do agree with you to a certain degree though. Taking out the low end deer will make room, and clear up resources for your better deer. You shot the low end deer and let the bigger ones get older so of course your heard improved in 3 years.

The research shows that this should not be a "genetics" debate. You are NOT going to manipulate genetics in a native environment. That doesn't mean you can't have good smart management practices that allow you eliminate the inferior bucks and allow your better deer to age and get larger.

When you're on an MLD place that gives you a bunch of buck tags, you have to focus on the management/cull deer to fill those tags. It is not an attempt to manipulate the genetics. It is an attempt to keep the appropriate amount of deer per acre for the environment they live in. The focus should be on age and nutrition, not genetics on a low fence native property.

Comment

So 100's of thousands of dollars of research, a few dozen guys with Masters and PHD 's in Wildlife Biology and you kill a few spikes one year and see a couple of bigger deer the next year so they're wrong? Gotcha
        Last edited by Mexico; 09-05-2019, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
          So 100's of thousands of dollars of research, a few dozen guys with Masters and PHD 's in Wildlife Biology and you kill a few spikes one year and see a couple of bigger deer the next year so they're wrong? Gotcha
          Heh... Millions...

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            Just to be fair, does carry half the genetics in your herd. How do you cull them ?
            glad someone brought this up.. I've read studies, and even in some of my wildlife management classes at TSU we talked about this, that said most of the antler genetics actually come from the mother. Making some deer you see and think oh that's so and so's son, actually is probably his brother.

there's just so many studies and different opinions out there, who really knows what's going on?

Comment

Originally posted by Tylerbost33 View Post
              glad someone brought this up.. I've read studies, and even in some of my wildlife management classes at TSU we talked about this, that said most of the antler genetics actually come from the mother. Making some deer you see and think oh that's so and so's son, actually is probably his brother.

there's just so many studies and different opinions out there, who really knows what's going on?
              True statement, but you can't see her genetics unless she has a pedigree, and Does in wild populations do not. You can only control what you can see and do the best you can

Comment

Easy. You kill the snorting B’s first.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                  N da face!

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                    All. Day. Long.

Comment

I wonder if there is truth to this and that TPWD is now allowing MLD conservation land to shoot any buck regardless of antler restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It really ain't rocket science like some studies have us believe.. That's just job security for the ones conducting said studies.....
                        In any environment, controlled or uncontrolled, unless you can tell the exact genetic make up of your doe herd, its a crap shoot at best in most cases....
                        Control the variables than you can like feed, numbers, undesirable antler traits etc.. and roll with it and pray for rain(another CRITICAL uncontrollable)..
                        Just maybe luck will smile down on you from time to time and you grow a few bigguns.....

I do believe that the natural mortality rate of mature bucks is A LOT higher than some really think it is..
                        Last edited by PondPopper; 09-05-2019, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
                          I wonder if there is truth to this and that TPWD is now allowing MLD conservation land to shoot any buck regardless of antler restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Yes that is the truth.. Has been..

Comment

Dang!!!! How many did said "friend" kill?????

Comment

Originally posted by Tylerbost33 View Post

This got my attention. When I’ve seen similar antlered deer, I’ve always thought it was son/father.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                                It really ain't rocket science like some studies have us believe.. That's just job security for the ones conducting said studies.....
                                In any environment, controlled or uncontrolled, unless you can tell the exact genetic make up of your doe herd, its a crap shoot at best in most cases....
                                Control the variables than you can like feed, numbers, undesirable antler traits etc.. and roll with it and pray for rain(another CRITICAL uncontrollable)..
                                Just maybe luck will smile down on you from time to time and you grow a few bigguns.....

I do believe that the natural mortality rate of mature bucks is A LOT higher than some really think it is..

I don’t think you can control undesirable antler characteristics, that would be controlling genetics. Everything else I pretty much agree on.

I also believe believe folks underestimate mortality rates. If you had say 100 buck fawns born on a property how many would reach maturity? What percentage? I guess a lot would have to do with rainfall, predators, and supplemental feeding.

Comment

Working...
                                X