Game camera management question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game camera management question??

So, i've been using cameras for awhile now and this thought just occurred to me today. Up to now i've been pretty willy-nilly on when i set out cameras, when i checked them ,etc. How many camera users have set a schedule for when you put out cameras, how often you check them, etc. More specifically, do you check cameras on the same weekend year over year to try to pattern specific animals?

The idea being that if you have a nice 3 y.o. deer this year, and he shows up regularly early in the season, then disappears, do you specifically look for that pattern in following years to help in hunting that specific animal?

I think i'm going to try to start using my cameras on a pretty specific schedule from year to year to help pattern animals year over year. Anyone seen research on this? Probably over-thinking it. Just curious.

TBHr Beargrasstx(?) has a product called Hunter Sight that may be of interest to you.
    Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
    The idea being that if you have a nice 3 y.o. deer this year, and he shows up regularly early in the season, then disappears, do you specifically look for that pattern in following years to help in hunting that specific animal?
    I've also thought this and tried to see if I can find it true for certain animals. I think you'd be better off doing that type of survey/monitoring on a game trail rather than a feeder. My thinking being a smart, old buck may be in an area for a certain part of the year but not hit any feeders.

Comment

Yes sir, i've got a camera in feed pens, and also a couple on travel routes.

Comment

I run cameras year round. If I’m not cataloging bucks, I’m looking for turkeys, hogs or counting does / fawns.

Comment

Each year I feel like I start setting my cameras out earlier and earlier each year, for no other reason than the fact that once I start doing that, it feels like hunting season is just right around the corner. I set a few cameras in mid June this year, and had all of mine out by early July.

My properties that I hunt are all within 30 minutes of my house and I don't use feeders at all so it makes it a bit easier. I go every 7-10 days and throw out hand corn and check cams at each place. Depending what it looks like when I go and check will help determine when I will go back and check again. For instance, I am currently running 6 spots, 4 of those spots I put out 2-3 bags of corn at every 7 days and will have 500-800 pictures in that amount of time. The other 2 spots are not as "hot" and a bit newer so I usually go every 14 days and 2 bags of corn at each will last me during that duration.

Now when it comes to when deer show up on certain cams, there is no doubt in my mind that deer have certain patterns/areas that they spend the majority of their time during certain times of the year. One spot I have, I start to see a certain few deer grouped up feeding while they grow their antlers, then once they have grown and shed, they start to disperse, and go to other areas and with that, it opens up "room" for other deer in that certain area. I had one unmistakable nontypical that I watched grow this year. I checked my camera last week and before sunrise that morning, he had started to shed out his velvet. That same night and almost 3 miles away, I have him on camera where I typically see him during actual season.

Comment

Originally posted by gander View Post
            I had one unmistakable nontypical that I watched grow this year. I checked my camera last week and before sunrise that morning, he had started to shed out his velvet. That same night and almost 3 miles away, I have him on camera where I typically see him during actual season.
            I meant to ask the other day if you have ever had anything like that happen. That is wild and so cool.

Comment

or you could just use https://thehuntersight.com

To pattern your pictures for you, pretty simple. Group your pictures up on your desktop. Upload them to your Hunter Sight account. Game trends feature will show your camera and specific folder of pictures patterns based on time of day, wind direction, and moon phase. You can even select a date range to pattern. Cost 24.99 a year to pattern 1k pictures. If you need more pictures there are higher priced packages. Of course, it gets cheaper to get more photos the higher you go in packages. You spend more in batteries a month and this site does way more. You can keep notes on your main page. You can add sightings with times on your satellite map.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHHwtvcIZlA&list=PL2tNtCXpwNEjWb9isgnGYPQo lPiTR8zdw&index=6&t=0s"]Getting Started #5 Game Photos, Game Trend Features - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I mean fellas, this is why I created this and a bunch of other tools as well. It works with any camera, just need date and time stamps so the system can get the historic weather for you and show you the statistics

No skill needed other than what you do already- ability to log in to a website like you do here. Can you upload your SD card of game photos and organize them into a folder? Then you can use this system

Comment

Working...
                X