No announcement yet.

Fall Food plot plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are y’all paying per 50lbs for Elbon Rye or Winter Rye?

Comment

Will be planting early/mid October. Wheat, Oats and Clover. Started to disc a couple areas this last week and tilled some larger areas.

Heat, Army Worms and lack of rain have me holding off planting right now.

Comment

Originally posted by lilbradford View Post
        What are y’all paying per 50lbs for Elbon Rye or Winter Rye?
        I think I paid $20
        This was from buchannans in Marshall Texas
        Few weeks back
        Winter wheat was $10
        Or maybe it was $18 for elbon and $12 for wheat?
        I just know it was $30 for both bags

Comment

To dry here to even think about planting anything

Comment

Anyone have any experience with Sunn Hemp for a plot?

Comment

Originally posted by TejasNW View Post
              Anyone have any experience with Sunn Hemp for a plot?

Mix it in a 6#’s an acre with iron clay cow peas and okra in the summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                Will be planting early/mid October. Wheat, Oats and Clover. Started to disc a couple areas this last week and tilled some larger areas.

Heat, Army Worms and lack of rain have me holding off planting right now.
                I was hoping the weather forecast would be at least halfway accurate with the rain. Ideally you are to plant at least 45 days before the anticipated frost.

Comment

We have some nice food plots that we are planting wheat, oats and turnips.

One of the properties next to us plants like 1000 acres of wheat. If it wasn't for cover we wouldn't be able to compete with that. At night I bet there are a ton of deer out there.

Comment

I have growth !
                    Attached Files

Comment

Medium red clover on a pipeline
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        I have growth !
                        Looks like you drilled your seed. Did you get some rain or was the ground just moist enough to get germination?

Comment

Well, I originally said I was going oats only but was able to score some extra turnips from a friend. I also found crimson clover at our feed store for $72/bag...so am thinking of this route:

Per Acre (Broadcasted)
                          50 lbs forage oats
                          50 lbs wheat
                          10 lbs crimson clover
                          2 lbs purple-top turnips

This mix comes out to about $53/acre for me with the free turnips. Planting about 4 acres total across our 135 acres..

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                            Looks like you drilled your seed. Did you get some rain or was the ground just moist enough to get germination?
                            I wish, but I cannot afford a drill. It’s disced lightly and broadcast, fertilized and planted, then dragged in. The clover on the pipeline is planted on top and rolled with my F350. I planted clover in two other plots as well but just spread it on top after the grain had been planted as above. We did this right ahead of the two days of rain last week. It was pretty dry when we planted but we took a chance on the forecast. We had a full inch where these plots are. I planted two at home on Saturday after 2.25” of rain. They’re up too, but naturally not as much as the ones four days ahead of them.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Anybody use Pogue Agri Seeds in Kenedy Tx? Im using it this year and will put our some 13-13-13 fertilizer. This is my first year doing a food plot I've herd good things we'll see. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                                I wish, but I cannot afford a drill. It’s disced lightly and broadcast, fertilized and planted, then dragged in. The clover on the pipeline is planted on top and rolled with my F350. I planted clover in two other plots as well but just spread it on top after the grain had been planted as above. We did this right ahead of the two days of rain last week. It was pretty dry when we planted but we took a chance on the forecast. We had a full inch where these plots are. I planted two at home on Saturday after 2.25” of rain. They’re up too, but naturally not as much as the ones four days ahead of them.
                                It looks lined up that it looks drilled. You hit it just right. I broadcasted my seed last Tuesday in anticipation of an inch of rain on Thursday/Friday but got nothing. Going out Saturday to see if anything germinated.

Comment

Working...
                                X