Will Plowing Field Spook Deer/Change Habits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Plowing Field Spook Deer/Change Habits

So I have a food for thought topic. I have a place that has about a 30 acre field that used to be planted every year for winter wheat but it has sat the last 3 years and has become just a big tall grass/sunflower field. I'm sure that deer have gotten used to it and may even be using it for a bedding location. Now, I pulled my cards yesterday and discovered a GIANT coming into my setup. I'm talking about a once in a lifetime type deer. I'm scared to even go to the place much now bc I don't want to spook him away. I have a guy interested in plowing this field and planting winter wheat for me before bow season. Theres not another wheat field within 3 miles so I figured planting it again would bring in more deer.

Now the question is, should I risk plowing up the 30 acre field and planting wheat or should I just leave it alone until I get a few weeks of bowhunting in to try and get a shot on the buck?? I am not sure if plowing the field will change anything as far as his behavior goes. I dont know where he is bedding if its on my place or somewhere else. I just know plowing the field and planting wheat will be a big change to the place from the last 3 years so not sure if that will spook him off the place or not. What do you guys think??

Won't bother the deer one bit.

Comment

Plant away. If you don't get him in early archery he will be in the wheat when it gets cold.

Comment

My deer don't view the tractor as a threat

They run off when I mow

I see them in the rear view mirror return as I drive by

bill

Comment

Shouldn't bother them much at all.

Let's see the monster!

Comment

Pic of said Giant? Then we can go from there

Comment

If you think they're using it as cover I wouldn't plow all of it. I'd plant 20 acres and leave 10 for cover IF it is actually being used for cover.

Comment

I have been planting winter wheat (etc.) food plots in Taylor/Fisher/Jones Counties for over 20 years. Army worms have wiped me out several times, so I quit planting until there's been a frost. I see good bucks every year while I'm on the tractor. They don't seem to mind it. If I were in your shoes, I would not disturb the area until at least mid-October. At that point, if he's still hanging around, keep holding off and hunt him; but if you aren't seeing him, go ahead and farm. In South Taylor County, the rut seems to peak the last week of October/first week of November and it would be really nice to have does in front of you eating wheat about then.

Comment

I've hunted out in Eula in the past and there are some giants out there! Plant away and you should reap rewards. I hunted a (40) acre wheat field for (20) plus years and counted as many as (75) deer on that plot...(4 1/2) miles SW of the Eula school.

Comment

All of these deer were taken on this (500) acre farm. Wheat was in by Labor Day religiously and some of the best hunting we ever experienced!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It won’t spook the deer, but if you plant wheat too early, you’re susceptible to drought and army worms. I usually wait until the last week of September, first week of October before planting.

Comment

There’s a good chance that when his antlers peel, he won’t be there anyway. Not trying to be a downer, but it happens often. I never let the deer dictate when or if I planted. Who knows, when the chase starts, you might see an even bigger one chasing does around that wheat.

Comment

I’m not worried about the tractor being out there and spooking the deer. Where I hunt there’s tractors working all year so the deer are used to that. I’m more concerned about plowing a field that’s been in tall grass for 3 years and whether or not that will change his behavior.

My thoughts are that he’s liking the place because it’s been relatively unused and he’s not pressured and has great food water as cover close by. Just not sure if changing that cover field to a plowed field would make things worse.

I may just plant about 10 acres of the field in 2 5 acre spots on opposite sides and leave all the middle alone

Comment

I killed my biggest deer to date while a guy was cutting hay in the field behind me. I was down and out thinking my hunt was over, but it all came together.

Comment

I would be more concerned about getting winded by him, that is when they change patterns. That is why I always use my tractor to fill feeders, so they get use to it but also use to my smell being there just in case the wind switches while in my treestand.
                              I don't think the field change will change him much, maybe a little as far as walking a field edge or fence row instead of the middle of the field.

Comment

Working...
                              X