No announcement yet.

Good plot prep debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mow and disk, disk again a few weeks later and plant (if have a good rain coming).

mow, spray and plant with a no till would be preferred if you could rent one nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
      Nothing will come up in 2 short weeks after disking, so why spray?
      I should have said, after new growth gets to be about an inch.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Spraying and discing is double work. BOth do the same thing.

I disk it one time then spray every year after following EL GATO and his organic matter idea. It works
        Not correct

Comment

Disc, then disc, then disc, plant, and drag

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            In the fall, mow, wait a couple weeks so that it grows a little, spray, wait ten days to two weeks, disc as lightly as you can to avoid bringing up more weed seed than you just have to, and plant. The reason for mowing is so that you get the herbicide where it belongs, on the weeds/grass. Some of the low growing stuff won’t get wet if the rest is really tall.

In the spring you can generally spray, then mow after ten days if you need to. It depends on how much growth is there as to whether I mow in the spring. Usually, I don’t have to because I’m planting into wheat that the deer have grazed down pretty low. If it gets too high and heads out I probably will mow it, but lately the hogs like it as much as the deer and I don’t have that problem.
            This is correct

Comment

Originally posted by northtxhunter View Post
              Mow it, plow it, then plant it. Has always worked for me.
              Planted my first plots of oats last year and this is all I did. I did get a little lucky with good rain but they grew like gangbusters.

Comment

I wish I had a no till drill, just shred and plant.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                  I wish I had a no till drill, just shred and plant.
                  Me too Jeff, but my wife’s cookie jar won’t hold that much change.

Comment

Mow if it is tall. Wait a couple weeks. Spray. Wait a couple weeks. Broadcast and shred again. Keeps moisture in the soil.
                    Works well for us.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                      Not correct
                      Both will still have spring weeds come up. Disking takes the moisture out of the soil, but I like disking one time and then spraying every year after. Especially on new land just dozed.

Comment

Both will still have spring weeds come up. Disking takes the moisture out of the soil, but I like disking one time and then spraying every year after. Especially on new land just dozed.
                        Discing and spraying are done for different reasons. For the most part Herbicide is used to eliminate weed competition from sprouts to give them a chance. I hate using herbicide, but I do.

Discing is done to provide a seed bed, unless you have a no till drill or using throw and grow. Every time you disc, weed seeds are brought up or mixed into the surface and they will sprout, by that time any herbicide you have sprayed is useless even pre emergents.

Now, if you have certain broadleaf or grasses among your plot that you want to target that is a separate issue. RR seeds are good for this.

Comment

Working...
                        X