Free Choice Protein, All Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Choice Protein, All Year?

This is our first year feeding protein on about 400 acres. We have seen a large improvement in deer numbers and quality of the animals. Our question is about when, or if, we should stop feeding. We don’t want to take away what has obviously been a huge draw for the deer but we also don’t want to get skunked in the stand because they are all eating at midnight. We don’t have timed protein feeders and they aren’t an option right now. Thoughts?

If you have the money and are willing to pay for it then I’d go for it. I’d look into timed feeders though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ideally we will be running timed protein feeders by next year. With the drastic changes we have seen by adding protein, we don’t want to change things. The issue is that most of our pictures are at night. I also understand that’s a summer pattern and it will change.

Comment

Yeah I wouldn’t worry about nighttime photos so much right now. If you have night time photos somewhere near the middle of your property I’d look for the direction of travel after hitting that feeder and set up another camera that direction to see if they’re still on your property at all during the daylight hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

24-7-365

Comment

I feed year around. They will still come to corn if you are feeding both.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
              I feed year around. They will still come to corn if you are feeding both.
              This.

Comment

We feed February through mid October then switch to corn. Our deer don't go anywhere, but if your group can afford it feed year round.

Comment

We’re broadcasting corn/soybean mix and free choice pellets side by side. The more I read the more I’m leaning toward keeping it going all year. I also have the only fenced feed area (60’ round) and there are other hunters NOT willing to feed protein so I hope I have the advantage. I have deer on camera during the day also, just not as much. I see signs of bedding down in my feed pen and have pictures of as many as 11 bucks in there at once. Point being, I think they are very comfortable. I plan to get some mineral blocks in there and see how this first year pans out with my new feeding strategy. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

I use to feed year round but stopped a couple years ago, the bucks pretty much stopped eating protein around late October. I start back up in February.

Comment

If the other guys on your lease are not feeding and you can afford it keep it going. You will definitely have the upper hand. Especially late season after the rut when the deer are trying to put weight back on. In my experience even if the are feeding at night you still have a great chance of killing them in that area. Also don’t get too caught up on night pictures this time of year. It’s hot during the day so they are more active at night when it cools down a bit.

Comment

Understood, and I appreciate it.

Comment

We did for a few years. Then we didn't for a few years. We are back on feeding all year now.

Comment

Glad to hear it is working. Hopefully we are successful.

Comment

In Oklahoma we are feeding protein year round.

Comment

Working...
                              X