Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

My deer are gone.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would this work for feeder pens?

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
      Would this work for feeder pens?
      I've used it and it worked, but you need to space the tposts pretty closely or pigs will just push under them. Bottom wire has to be pretty tight to the ground.

Comment

That’ll work for a pen.

Comment

double post

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
            It's July... Deer are in their summer pattern. With as much rain that Texas has gotten, they have plenty to eat and don't have to come to feeders now. Their movement is minimal at best. They're not traveling any further than they have to for food/water/bedding.

Corn is to a deer like M&M's are to us. Sure, they taste good but you can't live off of it unless you absolutely have to.

They'll start coming back towards the end of August.
            This is what I have always seen happen.
            Especially in Sterling Co.
            Deer are on the filaree and other forbes right now. They also love them some cedar berries this time of year too and any tender green shoots growing on about any kind of brush. Does with fawns are sticking close to cover for the most part in daylight with some open land browsing at night.

Comment

Crows eating all corn before deer get there. Shoot the crows. I mean put up owls or snakes. This will probably solve your mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
                This is a small example of the ravens/crows visiting my feeder twice a day everyday for the last 2wks. They start coming in just after sunup and stay for several hours. Then they show up again about 2 to 3 hrs before sunset and stay til just before sunset. In other pics I've counted over 40 birds at the feeder. The WT were still coming around even with the high hog activity prior to the ravens/crows coming in.

A couple of shotgun blasts and a few dead crows on the ground and they will leave. Be sure and kill the leader of that murder. Leader is usually the biggest blackest shiniest bird and shows dominance. Leave the dead crows on the ground where they fall to warn other crows off. Without a leader they won't come back until they get a new leader. Crows are about the most intelligent bird there is. You can fool them only one time. After that they scout out the place before coming in. Grackles are similar in intelligence and social make up and the grackle murders always have a leader as well. In my backyard I use a Gamo to kill the grackle leaders and the rest hightail it and don't come back.

Oh and them are crows!

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                  I've used it and it worked, but you need to space the tposts pretty closely or pigs will just push under them. Bottom wire has to be pretty tight to the ground.
                  He probably wont get a t post in the ground out there, better off rolling a 18 inch circle out of mesh fence and fillin it with rocks. That goat wire in your picture wont hold back a big pig, Tractor supply carries hog panels that are 16' long. Make you a 32' pen and put your water trough inside the pen too.

Last edited by Radar; 01-10-2020, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                    If you have "tons" of hogs showing up at feeders, then you are wasting corn. I would turn the feeders off and build a pen out of hog panels and enclose the feeders. More than likely you still have deer around but they are feeding somewhere else because you have too much pressure from the hogs.
                    Bingo !

Comment

Went and got me some crow and coon medicine. Hehehehehe

Comment

pen with hog panels has been a game changer for me. deer come in every feeding since hogs can't get to it.

Comment

Bust u some crows

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                            I think you’ve got Grackels and they are some pesky suckers. Get you a fake owl or snakes and put near your feeder.
                            That's a great idea.

Comment

Round pens with cattle panels don’t need many posts.
                              I would use some trees if possible and a t posts without the blades with a
                              Pneumatic driver.
                              I would probably use shields to keep corn in the pens and feed before daylight and after dark for a while to eliminate the bird issues
                              Try some alfalfa to feed the deer. Works well in bandera county

Good luck

FYI orchard guys here hang the dead crows with strings from limbs. Predators can’t get the carcasses.

Comment

I may be wrong but I swear there’s a guy that says this every year.

Comment

Working...
                                X