When do they Stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do they Stop

Just wondering when do the bucks antlers actually stop growing? Our deer shed velvet around the second week of Sept but I am certain antler growth stops earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends obviously on your location. Our deer are still growing well into September and many hold their velvet into late October.

Comment

Just from observation, I think the bucks are done growing 2 weeks or so before they strip their velvet. The last two weeks are a drying/solidifying process before the strip it.

Comment

Idk but it sure seems like they started a little early this year. Anybody else notice that?

Comment

With most of Texas receiving great rains most of the year, expecting a great year and reason for early development!

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
          Idk but it sure seems like they started a little early this year. Anybody else notice that?

Comment

It takes 120 days to grow so it all depends when they drop . So from my observation they are usually done growing about a month before they shed the velvet.

Comment

I usually always say the first of August they are done growing and turn to hardening. First of Sept they rub the velvet.

Comment

Depends on location and when they shed. If they are bulbed and have black tips, they are still growing. Some finish out earlier than others in the herd. Overall, I'd say 3-4 weeks of hardening and prior to shed, they are done growing.

Comment

SETx, mid August....more or less.

Comment

Depends on the location and also on individual deer. You’ll have some that grow early and fast but are done early, and others that blow up late in the growing season and appear to keep growing beyond the others. Typically they’re all done and shedding within a 2-3
                    Week span, though.

Comment

Here in San Marcos we wrap all of our small trees we want to save and any plants my wife wants to save with fencing to keep the bucks from tearing them up rubbing off their velvet. Every year like clockwork it starts right after Labor Day at our place. So with what everyone else states above then they should be done growing in 1 to 2 weeks here.

Comment

Working...
                      X