Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

How is the fall food plots doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I walked around some of mine yesterday and seen that the deer have started eating the turnips and Daikon radishes. I found a couple turnip tops laying in a deer trail about 50 yards from one of the plots, so they must be walking around with turnips in their mouths.

Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:52 PM.

[ATTACH]942641[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]942642[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]942643[/ATTACH]

Comment

When I planted last fall I decided to plant strips of Elbon Rye in of my plots to see if the deer would graze on it. They sure are, check this out.

Comment

Same here. Deer finally started eating turnips. Wish they would have started a month ago

Comment

I would say that the Rye is 1"-2" tall, so the deer are loving Elbon Rye. The army worms eat up a bunch of my Rye this year and I have no oats at all.

Comment

My plots look like they've been mowed. Literally hundreds of deer and hog pics in the plots last time I checked sd cards. But that's why I planted them !

Comment

I think I will plant a couple strips of Sunn Hemp in the spring. The more I read about that stuff it seems like it does the soil a lot of good and high in protein.

I wish I could plant corn along the edge of my plots like they do in Yankee land, unfortunately corn is a hog attractant.

Comment

I had to redo mine but looking good considering the issues this year.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like a golf course, is that oats?

Comment

BFO

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

had some seed left so I sowed back into the bare spots from summer/fall. This past rain should help it take.

Comment

I took my fence guy out to one of my plots today, he got him a load of turnips and radishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                          I think I will plant a couple strips of Sunn Hemp in the spring. The more I read about that stuff it seems like it does the soil a lot of good and high in protein.

I wish I could plant corn along the edge of my plots like they do in Yankee land, unfortunately corn is a hog attractant.

[emoji106][emoji2533] works real good. The cow peas will climb out the top of them as well!! This will be year 3 of adding the sun hemp in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Doing well where they didn’t get standing water. Radishes with oats mixed in are growing well with just a few nibbles here and there on the leaves.

The clover-only plots are staying mowed down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by Mountaineer; 01-23-2019, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Oats are the best right ahead of wheat in Mills county.

Comment

Working...
                              X