Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, what a stud!!! Hope you get him,

Comment

He has a lot going on and score means ZERO on a deer like that, but...........what do you have him scoring? I haven't put a pen to it but just eye balling I would guess high 70s-low 80s

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
        He has a lot going on and score means ZERO on a deer like that, but...........what do you have him scoring? I haven't put a pen to it but just eye balling I would guess high 70s-low 80s
        Honestly he has so much going on, I don't know how to start. Just from looking at other deer on here and knowing body size, I'm guessing 180s and always hoping for more But you guys see a lot more game camera pictures of huge deer, so I bet you have a better estimate. I think I count at least 21 points that are either scoreable or look like they will be in a few weeks.

And I am not sure how much camera angle is playing in to it making him look bigger than he may be. But he is such a freak and big, that I am not sure that makes much difference. Of course he is in velvet which can make him

Every time I look at pictures I can't believe he is on our pasture, especially with the "trophies" we killed 10-15 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie PhD View Post
          I've caught some grief by relatives about not shooting him. The best reactions have been from my nephews. The 10 year old kept saying "he is going to be a MONSTER" and this is from the kid that doesn't hunt much. His brother who is 16 keeps asking for new pictures and says I should have shot him.

Headed down the first weekend in February to check things out. Hopefully he has eaten that entire pile of cottonseed and is in good health

I have always heard that we had the potential to get some big guys. Although I still question rolling the dice (especially after the cotton seed pictures), we are moving our place in the right direction. And we will hopefully see more deer like him in the next several years
          What are the relatives saying now?

Comment

Man he's a freaking giant. Its not often a deer like that comes along that's within the working man's grasp these days.....cant wait to see LDP's of him!

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
              What are the relatives saying now?
              "Uncle Ryan, do you have any new pictures....."

If I shoot him or someone else does, I think I made the right call on letting him walk

Comment

"Uncle Ryan, do you have any new pictures!

HA! I bet.

Restraint is difficult. You've done exceptionally well and whether or not the buck ever hangs on someone's wall, you are a shinning example for the rest of Texas.

Allow me to be the first crackpot to suggest giving him another year. Feels risky, and nuts, I know. But that looks like a lot of growth in 1 year, and I would agree he looks pretty 4-ish in 2018. Meaning, he could have room for more. Or he could die. Or a drought could last 3 years, etc, etc. Only 1 way to find out. Could your emotional bank account handle another year and lease members agree on gentleman's handshake?

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie PhD View Post
                  Honestly he has so much going on, I don't know how to start. Just from looking at other deer on here and knowing body size, I'm guessing 180s and always hoping for more But you guys see a lot more game camera pictures of huge deer, so I bet you have a better estimate. I think I count at least 21 points that are either scoreable or look like they will be in a few weeks.

And I am not sure how much camera angle is playing in to it making him look bigger than he may be. But he is such a freak and big, that I am not sure that makes much difference. Of course he is in velvet which can make him

Every time I look at pictures I can't believe he is on our pasture, especially with the "trophies" we killed 10-15 years ago
                  One thing I will say is, I always under score deer with "extras". With just eyeballing I am not giving him the credit to him that he probably deserves with all the extras. Conservatively call it 18" of extras on that deer. Now his main frame is every bit of 165" so you are going to be sitting somewhere in the 183-188" range when it is all said and done, depending on how much more growth he has. He has a great frame and he aint done!

Comment

You have a good attitude and hope you kill the deer. The only bad thing is deer love to break people’s hearts. We had a 210” low fence 5.5 year old on our pasture a few years back and one of our own hunters poached him. Another time many years ago, I had a beautiful 4.5 mid 160’s type buck that I fell in love with. Our lease head went down during the middle of the week after hearing about the buck and shot him. Our blinds were close to each other, so it wasn’t hard to bring him over. After those two incidents and many others, I decided to just enjoy the hunt and if I get lucky, that’s a reward. Enjoy the ride and good luck.

Comment

Oh that would make me sick if someone poached him. We kicked a family off several years ago that cut the head off a buck and left the carcass. It is not a coincidence that after we kicked them off the quality of the deer we see and harvest has improved significantly

I try to keep a good attitude about it knowing that in all likelihood someone else will get him. Too much to live for than being miserable or ****** someone else shoots a mature deer

Comment

He put on a few more inches in the last month. I would think that he should be done growing and start shedding soon. Not sure how he is going to get all of his velvet off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Amazing free range deer! Hope you can get him.

Comment

Just now catching back up. Amazing deer, can’t wait to see how it all plays out.

Comment

It's stunning how letting a deer mature a bit and have another year to grow makes that much of a difference. That dude is just a beast.

Good luck!
                              Richard

Comment

Just found and caught up on the thread

Wow!!

Good luck on gettin him!

Comment

Working...
                                X