Central Texas deer tree planting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Central Texas deer tree planting?

I'm wanting to put in some hardwood and fruit bare root trees this winter. Any suggestions on what to plant? Bell county riverbottom soil. For oaks I was thinking bur, red, Monterey, and chinkapin. But I'm curious about sawtooth too, think they would do ok here? Any suggestions on fruit trees? I have some persimmon planted now but want some other stuff too. Fast growing, early fruiting trees are what I'm after.

I always try to plant and introduce trees that aren't already on your property.
    So if you have a bunch of bur, red and Monterey, plant some chinkapin and sawtooth.

If you have some persimmon, plant some pear and crabapple.

Comment

Originally posted by BlakeJ View Post
      I'm wanting to put in some hardwood and fruit bare root trees this winter. Any suggestions on what to plant? Bell county riverbottom soil. For oaks I was thinking bur, red, Monterey, and chinkapin. But I'm curious about sawtooth too, think they would do ok here? Any suggestions on fruit trees? I have some persimmon planted now but want some other stuff too. Fast growing, early fruiting trees are what I'm after.

If you’re interested in apples, Ein Shemer and Anna are low chilling hour varieties I’ve had good luck with in Bell Co.

You might have enough soil moisture to try Dunstan Chestnuts as well.

Comment

Call Legg Creek Farms. That is where i have been getting my bare root fruit trees.

Comment

I read wear deer love pear Trees. I plan on planting some along with some apple trees.

Comment

Originally posted by barnag View Post
            I always try to plant and introduce trees that aren't already on your property.
            So if you have a bunch of bur, red and Monterey, plant some chinkapin and sawtooth.

If you have some persimmon, plant some pear and crabapple.

I second this. Diversity of food/ types of acorns is key. With river bottom you will have a lot of good option.

Adam have some good articles as well as the related post at the bottom of the page

This is also a good website for tree species info. Just search the species in the search publication bar and the tree should come up.

Nativ nursery website is another good resource or their you tube channel.
            Last edited by Doe Doe Spike; 10-31-2018, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X