Who Feeds Medicated Protein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elgato View Post
    I'll start medicated feed mid March on the farm after the feeders go empty from current protein. I'll put 2-3 bags in each feeder which should last about 7-10 days.Once empty I'll go back to regular feed. I have a feeder per 60 acres on farm

So let's hear you thoughts on doing it with a timed protein feeder. You think we should stack the 5 sacks per feeder straight up in a timed protein feeder and pour the regular on top, or mix it like i stated above so that it may reach more animals passing through for a longer period?. I'm just curious on all thoughts since we are doing timed versus your's and Mexico's free choice. And we do not have the ability with these feeders to make them free choice. They are Lamcos and ASFs timed trough feeders. Mexico add in your thoughts on what you might do as well. Heck anybody can for that matter. First year newbie her with medicated.

Comment

Here's my issue with a timed protein feeder, my belief is your more dominant deer are going to control the feeder. Thus, there is a good chance your younger or less dominant deer could possibly miss out on the opportunity to medicate themselves.

This isn't a huge issue but one to think about if you're trying to control parasites in a free range population.

In a free choice situation, MOST of your deer will have an opportunity to feed. Even if it's a typical time period when no other deer are around, they might feel more comfortable to slip in now and again without competition.

Comment

I have no experience with timed feeders though I share Shane's concern about dominance at a feeder .My approach has always been to go straight medicated feed with enough per feeder to last 7-10 days.My reasoning is this provides enough feed for each deer using that site to have an adequate dose, concentrated over a relatively short period of time. Deer on my farm are very acclimated to feeders and I suspect utilize them daily. So I would rather have a concentrated dose over short period of time vs. light dose over extended time.

I make them clean the feeder out before refilling. All that said though I haven't really given it a lot of thought. Thats just my approach

Comment

Makes sense on the dominant deer deal. Thanks fellas. It's all we have to work with so I either do it or I don't out of timed feeders.

I was just looking for a favorable length of time for suggestions for dosage. I do have Covert cameras on both of mine so I do to get watch them daily and see a nice amount of different deer on them including the does later in the AM or during the night for the leftovers. I've have had them stack up side by side on all 4 sides and eat as well. That being said, I'll keep a closer eye on it now.. My deer right now seem to come up to the feeder and eat a few minutes and leave on to what I would assume is mother natures green groceries popping.. I was thinking about the mixing to spread the dosage out throughout the feeder over a month plus time to try to get them all a dose but I can also see getting it in there and over with over a short period of time..

Comment

After hearing all of the benefits you guys have seen my intent was to make the March protien fill medicated. Well I found its a little more challenging to find in the Panhandle than I thought and I waited to long to get it with our delivery. Have any of you guys mixed any other sort of medicated pellet with regular protein? Something possibly more commonly carried at a feed store? Possibly for sheep or goats?If I could locate something I could still pick up a pallet and go 5-10 bags per station straight and top with protein.
            Thoughts or suggestions from the experts? Or should I just wait until fall and plan a little better?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
              I started feeding medicated feed last year and have seen a 20% increase in body weight from all of the deer taken. Just remember there is a waiting period of 3-4 weeks after medicating before harvesting, so if you also have exotics you need to consider that.
              So how do you know if your neighbors have doped the herd in the last 3-4 weeks?

Comment

Fed 2 truck loads last year and had a very noticeable increase in body weights.

Comment

Medicated protein delivered going out this week on our ranch.

Comment

Put medicated in 8 feeders this weekend ....$21.50 a sack adds up quick now!..

We went ahead and did the 1-1 mix with regular protein using the redneck blender/mixer..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyCP5msPOfM"]Medicated protein-Redneck blender - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                      I started feeding medicated feed last year and have seen a 20% increase in body weight from all of the deer taken. Just remember there is a waiting period of 3-4 weeks after medicating before harvesting, so if you also have exotics you need to consider that.
                      Can you please explain how the medicated feed can cause such an increase in body weight? I've heard of using the medicated feed before as a dewormer but I had no idea that it would increase their overall weight. I'd appreciate any input.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                        Can you please explain how the medicated feed can cause such an increase in body weight? I've heard of using the medicated feed before as a dewormer but I had no idea that it would increase their overall weight. I'd appreciate any input.

I’m no expert but like a dog, worms suck nutrients from a dog’s system and no matter how much they eat, their can be skinny with their ribs showing. Get rid of the worms with wormer and the dog’s, and in this case, a deer’s nourishment goes up. ... nourishment/nutrients go up and weight should go up. That’s at least how I understand it.

Comment

Do y’all have a problem with parasites? What did the fecal samples identify?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            I’m no expert but like a dog, worms suck nutrients from a dog’s system and no matter how much they eat, their can be skinny with their ribs showing. Get rid of the worms with wormer and the dog’s, and in this case, a deer’s nourishment goes up. ... nourishment/nutrients go up and weight should go up. That’s at least how I understand it.
                            Thanks for the explanation!

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                              Do y’all have a problem with parasites? What did the fecal samples identify?
                              We had a few in certain areas of the ranch. Also hear that the feed helps them heal faster from the rut.

How you been?

Comment

I'm having trouble finding "medicated" protein. Our local store has protein with "wormer" - I assume this would be better than nothing but what else does the medicated take care of?

Comment

Working...
                                X