Who Feeds Medicated Protein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Longue Carabine View Post
    You're all feeding it free choice . . .? Medication isn't designed to be free choice. How are you preventing overdoses? These drugs like ivermectin are really toxic if you are exposed to too much, and drugs like fenbendazole are teratogenic in pregnant animals that eat more than a safe amount, causing deformities and/or miscarriages.

Fenbendazole is a benzimidazole that is used widely in domestic animals as an anthelmintic. The compound is metabolized to oxfendazole after oral dosing (Short et al., 1988). The compound is well tolerated and no teratogenic effects have been recorded. Fenbendazole has been demonstrated to be effective against E.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      Fenbendazole is a benzimidazole that is used widely in domestic animals as an anthelmintic. The compound is metabolized to oxfendazole after oral dosing (Short et al., 1988). The compound is well tolerated and no teratogenic effects have been recorded. Fenbendazole has been demonstrated to be effective against E.
      Not true. "Oxfenfazole, fenbendazole and febantel were all teratogenic in various species and a metabolite of febantel (febantel sulphoxide) was also teratogenic." See attached.

It is also toxic to the liver in doses greater than recommended dosing, just like ivermectin.

It should be common sense that these animals won't stop eating once they get to their max recommended dose. It's not going to get distributed equally throughout your deer population. Some will eat way too much and others won't eat enough, and continue to be reservoirs and vectors of reinfection.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Longue Carabine View Post
        Not true. "Oxfenfazole, fenbendazole and febantel were all teratogenic in various species and a metabolite of febantel (febantel sulphoxide) was also teratogenic." See attached.

It is also toxic to the liver in doses greater than recommended dosing, just like ivermectin.

It should be common sense that these animals won't stop eating once they get to their max recommended dose. It's not going to get distributed equally throughout your deer population. Some will eat way too much and others won't eat enough, and continue to be reservoirs and vectors of reinfection.

Lotta tests that suggest otherwise in just reading 8-10 articles/studies. But I am certainly no expert.....

I feed a set amount timed via an ASF timed tray feeder and limit those times even with standard protein so I'm not really concerned.....

Weird that wildlife biologists recommend it

Last edited by Smart; 01-01-2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

About time for this to pop back up and fill the March feeders..

Comment

About time for this to pop back up and fill the March feeders..
            Yes sir we'll be medicating ours next round as well.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

I put some in my DMP yesterday. Will put some out in pasture pens in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Who Feeds Medicated Protein?

Sounds like we that feed protein are going to do a 50/50 medicated/regular mix for this March. We are all on timed protein feeders ..some 600 some 800, so the medicated protein would be available for 1-2 months in various areas spread out around the property with a regulated amount per spin/drop. The thinking was allowing multiple deer through the time period to be exposed to it.... while also thinning it out with regular to keep the dose low. Is that a backwards way of thinking?

Mexico your thoughts? good/bad? Yay/nay?

Comment

Sounds like we that feed protein are going to do a 50/50 medicated/regular mix for this March. We are all on timed protein feeders ..some 600 some 800, so the medicated protein would be available for 1-2 months in various spread out around the with a regulated amount per spin/drop. The thinking was allowing multiple deer through the time period to be exposed to it.... while also thinning it out with regular to keep the dose low. Is that a backwards way of thinking?

Mexico your thoughts? good/bad? Yay/nay?
                  Couldn't hurt.... the seminars I went to put on specifically by LnE basically stated the deer only need 3 or 4 mouthful's over a 3 or 4 day period to medicate themselves... it apparently doesn't take a lot.

We feed 1 ton in the spring and one ton in the fall, over 3 k acres. Feeders are free choice. We had ONE deer last year with ticks, and are low fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                    Couldn't hurt.... the seminars I went to put on specifically by LnE basically stated the deer only need 3 or 4 mouthful's over a 3 or 4 day period to medicate themselves... it apparently doesn't take a lot.

We feed 1 ton in the spring and one ton in the fall, over 3 k acres. Feeders are free choice. We had ONE deer last year with ticks, and are low fence.

How long do your feeders last when filled. That’s prob the better gauge for us.

Comment

How long do your feeders last when filled. That’s prob the better gauge for us.
                      Ours last 4 weeks. I'm on our place monthly checking on things and filling feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                        Ours last 4 weeks. I'm on our place monthly checking on things and filling feeders.

Ok. Thank you!

Comment

Ok. Thank you!
                          Yes sir!

Comment

I started feeding medicated feed last year and have seen a 20% increase in body weight from all of the deer taken. Just remember there is a waiting period of 3-4 weeks after medicating before harvesting, so if you also have exotics you need to consider that.

Comment

Good to hear SS... that’s the reviews I like to hear.

Comment

I'll start medicated feed mid March on the farm after the feeders go empty from current protein. I'll put 2-3 bags in each feeder which should last about 7-10 days.Once empty I'll go back to regular feed. I have a feeder per 60 acres on farm

Comment

Working...
                                X