• Time
  • Show
Clear All

We'll take it.

Comment

LO said it hasn’t rained in 2 months

Farm logs says .16” is what we got.
      We were green through spring.
      Could it be they just don’t like this particular type of feed?
      We added a feed station as mentioned before.

Comment

Sometimes I wonder if it’s just a matter of what particular deer like to eat. I have seen really good jumps in drought years on deer that I’m assuming are protein hogs. I watched a 9 that was dubbed “friendly 9” go from a slick 140” 9 to a split brow 168” 9 in a drought year several years back. He was a total feeder hog and was suck on pellets constantly.

Or, maybe on drought years they’re forced to eat different plants they don’t actually prefer when other browse is plentiful in a wet year which are higher in protein?

I know we had more mesquite beans this summer than I’ve seen in a while. The winter and early spring was very wet and probably provided a good start for the browse before this hellacious summer started.

I’ve seen a few young deer that went down hill too chuck. I’m not too worried because they’re 3-4 year olds, but I was expecting more deer to go up across the board coming off the wet early part of the year.
        Last edited by kyle1974; 09-03-2019, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Deer eat more feed when they have less natural forage, period...

HALF is so far out of line, that it is highly unlikely that it's not something to do with supply.

Did you switch feeds? Did you put up new feed pens? New ranch hands? New type of feeders? Something changed.
          Last edited by Encinal; 09-03-2019, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Survey/Deer Density

I don’t know exactly how far chucks place is from mine but I think we’re pretty close. Until June or so, there was plenty of forage. Our deer barely touched protein from feb-may. That could be a reason for less consumption.

2018-2019 was dry all year so it was a different scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
              I don’t know exactly how far chucks place is from mine but I think we’re pretty close. Until June or so, there was plenty of forage. Our deer barely touched protein from feb-may. That could be a reason for less consumption.

2018-2019 was dry all year so it was a different scenario.
              We were a little lower in the spring but man they came on fast when it got dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post

HALF is so far out of line, that it is highly unlikely that it's not something to do with supply.

Did you switch feeds? Did you put up new feed pens? New ranch hands? New type of feeders? Something changed.
                It’s our 3rd year and there are no new variables. With the exception of a new added feed station on the north end of the ranch.
                We have fed bee county all 3 years.
                Year 1 - about 26 tons
                Year 2 - 45 tons
                Year 3 - 20 tons to date
                The drought our first year was worse in my opinion deer were hungry.
                I should add that the year prior to our arrival only corn was fed. And that first year is was L&E.

Comment

We are at 1 deer / 39 acres. I was your neighbor at your previous lease

Comment

Rich people problems......

Comment

Originally posted by webb09 View Post
                      We are at 1 deer / 39 acres. I was your neighbor at your previous lease
                      In encinal?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckfu View Post
                        In encinal?
                        Yes

Comment

We are trying to back to 1/30

Comment

1 to 39?

Wow.

Comment

1 to 39?

Wow.
                              Yea, I could see that if we didn’t feed, but we feed year round

Comment

I remember last year you said either they don’t like the feed or the numbers were way off.
                                You still consider that to be a possibility?

Comment

Working...
                                X