No announcement yet.

Planting before the rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely way too early for us, we are in Menard County (West central Texas). Mid October is our planting date.

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
      I’m holding off this year. Every time I plant early, have problems. Two times, food plots came up to about 3” after a good rain. Did not get another rain for about 6 weeks and temps got up to mid 90’s. Lost everything.

That's what I'm talking about. Not wasting anymore $ on these early season teaser rains. Then everything burns up or the bugs get it.

Comment

With all this moisture I’m thinking of getting mine planted in the next 7-8 days before the next rain comes in. This way my 80 acres has a couple weeks to calm down before bow season. I realize the tractor work won’t affect them that much. I’m planting some type of oats.

Or do I wait to closer to October?

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
          With all this moisture I’m thinking of getting mine planted in the next 7-8 days before the next rain comes in. This way my 80 acres has a couple weeks to calm down before bow season. I realize the tractor work won’t affect them that much. I’m planting some type of oats.

Or do I wait to closer to October?
          I'm with you. On my 70 acres in OK, I wanted to let things settle down for a while. I'm going to stay out for the next month and cross my fingers my plot comes up. Looking like I'll have some rain tonight and tomorrow morning. I planted elbon rye and mbs seed buck plot booster, which has a mix of sugar beets, chicory, yellow-blossom sweet clover, arrowleaf clover, crimson clover, purple top turnips, rapeseed, and hairy vetch.

What did you plant last year, Heath?

Comment

I have a new to me grain drill that I need to test and tinker with. I will plant maybe an acre as soon as it dries up enough. 10.59" of rain in the last month has the ground a little gummy. I will plant some wheat expecting to feed deer and army worms. It will attract the deer for opening weekend. It should be gone by mid October. I lost the last two crops due to army worms and lack of or too much moisture. This year I intend to hold off until early November for sowing grain. One of my neighbors waited until December last year and did very well. It is pretty useless at that point to use for bow hunting. Our bucks are mostly nocturnal that late in the season.

Comment

Working...
            X