Let them walk or send an arrow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let them walk or send an arrow?

We've got a place in Nolan County thats half a section with bigger ranches on each side of us that hunt. My question for y'all is how would you factor that into lettin the middle aged class walk? Say around 4 1/2 year olds. i have bucks that are steady every year that never seem to make it through rifle season. Couple years ago i was sittin in a stand and stopped counting at 40 shots the opening morning of rifle season. It's getting harder to pass bucks after seein them disappear time and time again. What's yall's take on the situation.
    Attached Files

I say if you would be happy with it let it fly, if not let em walk.

Comment

We have the same issue but I have shot enough 4 year old 8’s and 10’s so I let them walk and hope a few make it and we see a few great bucks a year now.

Comment

I fight this every year on our Menard pasture. We let bucks walk for years only to have the trigger happy neighbors shoot them at 5. Now, I concentrate my efforts during bow season on that side of the property. If I like a buck and he gets my heart pumping, I let the arrow fly! If you like him, let em fly!! Nice country you're hunting, good luck this season!!

Comment

Too old?, Too young? Needs a year?
          If you like either deer and they would be a trophy to you!
          Shoot at it! You know what you like and want.
          Get er done!
          You never know if you will see them again!

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
            We have the same issue but I have shot enough 4 year old 8’s and 10’s so I let them walk and hope a few make it and we see a few great bucks a year now.
            I've been letting them walk for a bit now, and just really haven't seen any benefits

Comment

Originally posted by Lee230 View Post
              I fight this every year on our Menard pasture. We let bucks walk for years only to have the trigger happy neighbors shoot them at 5. Now, I concentrate my efforts during bow season on that side of the property. If I like a buck and he gets my heart pumping, I let the arrow fly! If you like him, let em fly!! Nice country you're hunting, good luck this season!!
              That aren't too many bucks that don't get my heart pumpin ha. I believe I will be letting one fly this season if it's one I like (like the 10 in the picture) and good luck to you as well!

Comment

My take has always been shoot em if he’s a trophy to you. If you shoot deer so someone else won’t, only hinders you’re chances of getting a trophy

Comment

I think just about every low fence place in Texas has to deal with this predicament at sometime or another. We deal with this issue at our place and it’s pretty disheartening when you watch these bucks for years and know they still have more potential and then next thing you know the neighbor is doing victory laps around his place with one of the bucks you had been watching. Hopefully in the next few years we can buy out those ding bats from Alabama. To answer your question we haven’t on our place ever shot a buck just cause we thought the neighbor would, we just grit and bear our teeth, knowing that some of the bucks will make it through not all of them will get killed.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                    I think just about every low fence place in Texas has to deal with this predicament at sometime or another. We deal with this issue at our place and it’s pretty disheartening when you watch these bucks for years and know they still have more potential and then next thing you know the neighbor is doing victory laps around his place with one of the bucks you had been watching. Hopefully in the next few years we can buy out those ding bats from Alabama. To answer your question we haven’t on our place ever shot a buck just cause we thought the neighbor would, we just grit and bear our teeth, knowing that some of the bucks will make it through not all of them will get killed.
                    And this is what i've been doing and disheartening is a good way to put it

Comment

If you are only hunting 320 acres then you really can’t manage your place unless your bigger neighbors are doing so . If I were you I would try to contact them and see what there management plan is they have in place. It doesn’t hurt to feel your neighbors out and get to know them they may actually let some walk if they know you are . But with that being said if you like the buck then shoot him a 4.5 year old buck on a low fence 320 acres is probably going to be your top end buck anyways . By the way that 10 is a dang nice buck . There are some great deer in parts of Nolan county !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Letter rip

Comment

What hoss said. Talk to them and get a feel for their management goals. They may be thinking if they don’t shoot them someone else will. If they tell you their meat hunters but don’t shoot does then fire away.

Comment

Small property and you are happy with him, let one fly

Comment

You Would Be surprised How Many Deer Stop Showing Up every Day As They Mature. Doesn't Mean they are Dead. So You Can Shoot one and Stop Blaming your Neighbors or Hunt Harder And Kill a More Mature Deer after Most are Done hunting for the Season. Its Not the size of the ranch you hunt that matters if deer are not given the chance to mature by you first.

Comment

Working...
                              X