Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Rice bran v. Protein as attractant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rice bran v. Protein as attractant

We feed corn and will start feeding cottonseed full time. But I want to add something else to my feed pens as a pure attractant. Thinking about a timed protein trough feeder (A.S., Lamco, HB) or the Fortress timed rice bran feeder.

Which would you chooses as the better attractant in South Texas?

Rice Bran or Protein

For pure attractant, rice bran gets my vote.

Comment

I highly recommend feeding protein out of a Lamco timed protein feeder. We added them to our pens this past year, so we could feed protein during season as an attractant. I stopped free choice during season, to not encourage feeding at night. It didn’t take long for the deer to get used to the trough feeder. If you go that route, I would recommend setting your timer relatively low until they get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by 8pointer; 02-22-2018, 11:56 AM.

Comment

I have no experience with rice bran in South Texas. But protein will definitely bring deer into your area. Free choice and as much as you can afford to feed.

Comment

I would think it would be next to impossible to feed rice bran out of a timed feeder. If you can prove me wrong, i would love to see how you are doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
            I would think it would be next to impossible to feed rice bran out of a timed feeder. If you can prove me wrong, i would love to see how you are doing it.
            I believe the only way to do so right now is with those fortress feeders. I just dump it on the ground while hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
              Been done

Originally posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post
              I believe the only way to do so right now is with those fortress feeders. I just dump it on the ground while hunting.
              Yessir....they are pricey that’s for sure!

Comment

Both

Comment

Have you tried rice bran yet? I'd try dumping it on the ground first before buying an expensive feeder. I tried it in Llano this season and the deer didn't touch it. I tried several flavors readily available in La. Must be something lacking in the pineywoods, cause they devour a 50 lbs. sack in 2 days up here in NE La. Check into the bran bag as an option to a feeder.

Comment

They love Rice Bran in East Texas. The deer in my area will clean up 50 lbs in less than a week.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SBESTX View Post
                      Have you tried rice bran yet? I'd try dumping it on the ground first before buying an expensive feeder. I tried it in Llano this season and the deer didn't touch it. I tried several flavors readily available in La. Must be something lacking in the pineywoods, cause they devour a 50 lbs. sack in 2 days up here in NE La. Check into the bran bag as an option to a feeder.
                      Man, the Llano deer squatting on my land love rice bran. I have never seen flavored bulk bran, but they fight each other over the plain stuff I put out.

Comment

Originally posted by blntrey3 View Post
                        Both
                        mix it together

Comment

You guys using the timed protein feeders, how much do you try to feed per time it goes off?

Comment

the deer on my place in Webb county go straight to rice bran. I put out 100lbs at a time in a barrel cut in half long ways. Last 2-3 weeks.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Working...
                              X