Originally posted by Big Mike M View Post
    How old do you think this buck is?
    Looks 3.5

Comment

Finally showing his true potential at 6.5

Comment

How old do you think this buck is?
        I can't tell. Healthy 4.5? Hope you have a series of photos of him too.

Comment

Originally posted by sweldo73 View Post
          You know your herd, but in a general sense of what is known about whitetail body conditions at various ages, nothing about the first pic looks like a 4yo to me. And he looks post-mature in the 5yo pic. It could be that he's a few years older than you're thinking, and he's just declining.
          I agree. To me I am looking at possibly a 6,7, and 8 year old deer.

On our HF place, the deer traditionally seem to peak in score at 6.5, but do throw on kicker points, split beams, etc. at 7 & 8.

I wouldn't expect your buck to revert back to main frame 8 though.

Comment

Let's see how good your rack looks when you are a 100 yrs old!:-) you asked what's wrong with him and I say old age is wrong with him.

Comment

He’s back. Any guesses on score this year? He has about a 4” kicker off right G-2 you can’t see in this pic.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                I have often asked myself this same question of the deer that I perceive as the same deer from last year. Can a deer's characteristics change so drastically from one year to another, positively or negatively (horns/body/whatever), that you get them mixed up? I tell myself no but at the end of the day we are just making a very well educated guess.
                No, the characteristics will be the same, year in and year out. They may be huge one year and not too good the next, but they will be recognizable from year to year.

Comment

He has some serious character this year. His bases are really good too.

Comment

He’s back. Any guesses on score this year? He has about a 4” kicker off right G-2 you can’t see in this pic.
                    Wow, he is Older than dirt.

Comment

I can't even begin to guess a score on him. Lots of character and old!

Comment

Thanks for posting these. Antler growth from year to year is interesting.
                        I assumed skeletal injury after the first year. Unless you find some permanent injury I don’t see, maybe injuries from your feeder during early growth. Shame with that initial frame and drops. Is he a target deer?

BP

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                          Thanks for posting these. Antler growth from year to year is interesting.
                          I assumed skeletal injury after the first year. Unless you find some permanent injury I don’t see, maybe injuries from your feeder during early growth. Shame with that initial frame and drops. Is he a target deer?

BP
                          I plan on shooting him this year. He’s 7 1/2 this year.

Comment

Wow that is a funky looking rack for sure. I would think it would have to be some kind of injury if he is truly the same deer in the first pic.

Comment

I don't think 5.5 and 6.5 look anything like each other

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                                I don't think 5.5 and 6.5 look anything like each other
                                Look at the brow tines. They have been the same the last 3 years. Left is a little longer with a split.

Comment

Working...
                                X