taking out a strong genetic trait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

taking out a strong genetic trait

I didn't want to confuse the talk on the "culling" thread so am starting a new one. In this case I am not talking about taking the least desirable deer from the herd or any particular age class. I am concerned with the ability to take out a strong genetic trait that is being seen within a small deer herd (lets say 30 deer). We had a mature buck last year we named Medusa with a normal 4 pt side on the right and a multitude of points (8 in total) growing from his base with no discernible main beam involved. I passed him up looking for a prettier buck and later in the season noticed another young buck with the same configuration (4 pt side and 4-5 tines growing from his base with no main beam). At that point I considered his ugliness a genetic trait and decided he needed to go and of course we never got another shot at him. Fast forward to this year and look who shows up on the cameras the first week I put them out
    Click image for larger version

Name:	medusa1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	25123111
    Click image for larger version

Name:	medusa2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	25123112
    This year he has an obvious main beam (or 2 or 3) but as you can tell is still really weird on the left side with a total of 8 points. The more concerning part is the young buck from last year is back as well and looks similar to what Medusa looked like last year (4 on the left and 8 on the right with no main beam) AND there are two NEW really young bucks with the same exact setup (4 pts on the left and a glob of points growing from their base on the right). To me this has to be a genetic thing going on in this herd as many of them as there are with the same rack configuration. Is this something that can be killed out of the herd (for example if we killed Medusa and all three of the other young deer that have his same traits early in the season) would that do the trick? I can only assume that there may be a doe or two in the herd also that carries that gene along as well so I know there is no 100% fix, but if we could see 1 of these kind of bucks per season that would be much better than having 4 of them spreading these genes around.

Different strokes........., but if it were me, I'd manage for age and not antler characteristics.
    But then, I don't see that rack as ugly, just unique. Nice main frame eights are a dime a dozen. Lots of folks would rather mount your deer over a slick eight.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      Different strokes........., but if it were me, I'd manage for age and not antler characteristics.
      But then, I don't see that rack as ugly, just unique. Nice main frame eights are a dime a dozen. Lots of folks would rather mount your deer over a slick eight.
      There is definitely a desire deep within to let them all get old and try to have an assortment of funky non-typicals hanging in the trophy room I just don't want it to become the norm where it starts overtaking the genetics of the herd and we end up with nothing but funky antlered bucks. I would say we have a total of 12-16 bucks within the herd and we now have 4 with this same genetic trait (that is 20%-25% of the herd). My 10yr old is going to do everything in his power to make sure Medusa does not bread this season, but I am questioning whether we should go ahead and target the others as well or if there is not much to worry about with this trait "taking over" the herd.

Comment

I would KILL for those "freak" genetics to be on our place!!! Different strokes for different folks, but I think that buck is awesome...
        Good luck with your goals and management program.

Comment

nice trophy in my book, but it depends on what kind of heard you want in years down the road .

Comment

Awesome buck!

Comment

Might be genetics but I suspect more likely from damage to the pedicle or a skeletal damage on the opposite side of the body It can also be from bumping or hitting the antlers while early in the growth stage.

Hope your 10 year old can get him. if you do examine the bases and pedicle, bet there is damage there from something in the past. Then I have not stayed in a holiday inn in years

Comment

If it is genetics, you can definitely make a difference. When I got on my lease (10 years ago), we had a genetic strain of having a nice, normal right beam and the left beam would be smooth - no branching at all.
                We made a concerted effort to eliminate any bucks showing that trait and it has disappeared.
                BTW, 880 acres low fenced.

Comment

I like him.

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                    Might be genetics but I suspect more likely from damage to the pedicle or a skeletal damage on the opposite side of the body It can also be from bumping or hitting the antlers while early in the growth stage.

Hope your 10 year old can get him. if you do examine the bases and pedicle, bet there is damage there from something in the past. Then I have not stayed in a holiday inn in years
                    I agree that this can happen, but I can't imagine 25% of your buck herd bumping their pedicle or getting an injury on their base that causes the same exact antler formation (that is the only reason I have ruled injury out and believe this to be a genetics related situation)

Comment

nice buck. I hope either you get him, or he eludes the cooler 1 more season, and turns to giant status next year.

Comment

Kill half of them, Codie. That way you still have some really cool freaks with all that character, but not every buck looks like that. Pretty cool deer.

Comment

Talk about non-typical!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                            Kill half of them, Codie. That way you still have some really cool freaks with all that character, but not every buck looks like that. Pretty cool deer.
                            I'm in agreement with this. I think it is too cool to wipe away completely, but I wouldn't want every buck on my place looking like that eventually.

Comment

If it is genetic, how do you propose to eliminate his daughters that are going to pass on that trait also?

Comment

Working...
                              X