No announcement yet.

taking out a strong genetic trait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TKK, no one can deny the quality of your deer. Period!

Frankly I'm surprised that you could read the research that I cited and still claim such positive impacts from culling.

I've talked before about the inability to isolate the impacts of a particular practice when multiple practices are implemented concurrently. I would attribute your success to providing high nutrition to the top quality bucks for their entire lives and not harvesting them until they had reached full maturity.

By the way, and if it matters, I am very familiar with S TX.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
      I've always thought they dispersed in their first rut with hard antler. Interesting. That's been my observation based on my doe density disparity in South Texas.
      I thought the same, thus term "fall shuffle". After reading, I realized in the fall I often see adult doe with fawn and yearling doe (previous year's fawn) in tow, but less frequently see adult doe with fawn and yearling buck in tow.

The Illinois research is really interesting and well conducted for 12 years with huge sample size and from 3 different parts of the state. It doesn't have application to S TX outside of concept, but still really cool stuff.

An interesting tidbit, but not statistically significant, they observed orphaned fawns dispersed shorter distances and some not at all.

"Behavior, dispersal, and survival of male white-tailed deer in Illinois". Charles M. Nixon et al

Sorry OP, don't mean to hijack

Comment

Seems like a nice buck to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
          I thought the same, thus term "fall shuffle". After reading, I realized in the fall I often see adult doe with fawn and yearling doe (previous year's fawn) in tow, but less frequently see adult doe with fawn and yearling buck in tow.

The Illinois research is really interesting and well conducted for 12 years with huge sample size and from 3 different parts of the state. It doesn't have application to S TX outside of concept, but still really cool stuff.

An interesting tidbit, but not statistically significant, they observed orphaned fawns dispersed shorter distances and some not at all.

"Behavior, dispersal, and survival of male white-tailed deer in Illinois". Charles M. Nixon et al

Sorry OP, don't mean to hijack
          I have (maybe I'm close to back to balance now) more does on my east than west side. Every year I would see many fewer yearlings on the side with less does, but equal numbers of 2+.

The do get bounced in the rut, but maybe they go home first. I've always thought that twin buck fawns stay buddies and pair back up every year in many cases. It would make sense if they went home again and met back up that first year after the rut then dispersed together.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
            You can kill him and his little buddy, but if the trait is genetic it'll still be there in other deer that he genetically originated from...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
            Namely the doe. Those genetics arent just being passed on from the daddy. It may be the momma that is producing this trait.

Comment

Your not going to change the genetics in your heard by killing them bucks. Especially on a low fence place. I would let the bucks mature and see if you can grow a big old freak nasty!! Just remember it's your deer heard that produces the genetics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                Namely the doe. Those genetics arent just being passed on from the daddy. It may be the momma that is producing this trait.
                This^^^

Comment

Working...
                X