Clear All

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
    You hunt in Caterina?
    Yup

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
      No archery stamp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

You may be right but IF this ever happened they could still charge for an archery stamp

Meaning just because they do away with Archery only October, they could still require the endorsement to allow bowhunting, by the same token, they could require a modern firearm endorsement, a shotgun endorsement for waterfowl or turkey hunting.
      Just because they take one away, the other doesn't necessarily follow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You hunt in Caterina? My ex-inlaws owns ranches in Zavala Cnty and I never Hunted until Thanksgiving and killed my biggest bucks around Christmas or later.
        Biggest deer we've killed came opening weekend, as well as a couple of other trophies, and a lot of trophies come that time of the year and a lot have came in the last weekend

Yes those other weekends/times are good to hunt, but that isn't always the case or when trophies get taken.

Sorry for the double quote, I had replied before your edit
        Last edited by 160class; 02-07-2017, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Funny thing. This thread started out about lengthening the season, and one person has completely turned this thread around and into shortening the season.

Comment

Originally posted by 160class View Post
            Biggest deer we've killed came opening weekend, as well as a couple of other trophies, and a lot of trophies come that time of the year and a lot have came in the last weekend

Yes those other weekends/times are good to hunt, but that isn't always the case or when trophies get taken.

Sorry for the double quote, I had replied before your edit
            My preferred time to hunt that country was from Christmas until that last weekend The colder the better ... South Texas deer come to roads and feeder much better . We always would see deer we have never seen during late January and Early February . Some of the biggest as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
              Funny thing. This thread started out about lengthening the season, and one person has completely turned this thread around and into shortening the season.
              Which would be absolutely pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                Which would be absolutely pointless.
                It's definitely got my feathers ruffled.

Comment

My preferred time to hunt that country was from Christmas until that last weekend The colder the better ... South Texas deer come to roads and feeder much better . We always would see deer we have never seen during late January and Early February . Some of the biggest as well.
                  Same at our place, once the ruts over and they start getting really hungry they come out. If we extended the season we would be able to hunt them and also keep feeding them at the rate we were during that hard time on their bodies rather than just the feeders going off twice a day and protein only

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                    Personally, I would like to see doe tags issued to landowners in east texas and allow them to be used any time in general season. And I would like to see a Primitive Weapon season for the first two weeks in January that included archery and muzzleloader. Leave the rest of it alone.
                    I don't understand why does can be shot with a bow in October but not January. Still the same population going into winter and spring.

Comment

Its so dang hot many times in October I would like to see Bow season start Nov 1st and Gun season start Dec 1st and continue till the end of January.

Comment

Originally posted by Doe Doe Spike View Post
                        I don't understand why does can be shot with a bow in October but not January. Still the same population going into winter and spring.
                        In October they may or may not be pregnant. January they're all but guaranteed to be pregnant.

Comment

Not forcing anybody to take up bowhunting. What I'm saying is only Antlered bucks from Thanksgiving thru Jan 1. From October till end of January doe and spikes with any legal weapon.
                          Like this

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                            In October they may or may not be pregnant. January they're all but guaranteed to be pregnant.
                            I understand the logic behind this, but at the same time I don't understand it.

You have 5 does in an area. Shoot three of them in October and you will have two left to breed and carry a fawn.

Take those same 5 does and shoot three in January, you still have two does to carry fawns.

So what's the difference?

Comment

Our bow season runs from the end of September to the end of February... way too long in my opinion. Not much sense in being in the woods after bucks have dropped their antlers. I wish they'd cut it off January 1.

Rifle season in my zone is a month long, with 9 days of muzzleloader in late October, and doe only rifle weekend prior to regular gun season to ecourage people to kill more does. I always thought that was too much gun season but harvest numbers in our area are climbing over the last 5 years since those regulations have been in. It seems to me like we have more deer every year.

AGFC has something figured out. Our deer hunting has vastly improved in my lifetime.

Comment

You guys crack me up.

Comment

Working...
                                X