Chicken manure or Lime only.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LWolken View Post
    You can buy lime by the ton for $40.00 at the COOP. If the pH is incorrect it does not matter how much fertilizer you put in the soil the plants can't use it. Correct the pH first then add fertilizer. I would not put chicken manure in my garden due to the antibiotics, hormones etc. that are given in high doses. For the pasture or food plot its probably fine.
    Thanx

Comment

How do you go about testing your soil? Does the coop do it if i bring a sample.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Calvin,I don't think Orange county has a co-op but I have the number for a place in SW La that sells bulk ag lime. If you have a large order they deliver for free but it probably takes a substantial sized order. I think it's 38-39 bucks a ton. It needs to be out for around 6 months before it works.

Comment

Originally posted by cashcropper View Post
          Calvin,I don't think Orange county has a co-op but I have the number for a place in SW La that sells bulk ag lime. If you have a large order they deliver for free but it probably takes a substantial sized order. I think it's 38-39 bucks a ton. It needs to be out for around 6 months before it works.
          Thanx Marko. That's why I was leaning to doing it this next week. I cannot get a Spreader on to my plot. pretty tight going through those pines. I am pretty sure I will be bagging it on to my plot.

Do you know if Newton County has a coop?

Comment

Don't know.

Comment

Last year I bought a bunch of pelletized lime on sale from tractor supply in 40 lb bags. It's more expensive but you can look for it on sale online.

Comment

Thanx Marko...that's probably what Im gonna do

Comment

Im not a soil guru but I have used a bunch of chicken manure with fantastic results. as far as concerns over the hormones, etc...We eat the chicken and it doesnt hurt us so plants grown with the manure wont either.

We put 8000lb of chicken manure to the acre last year. I disced it under to help spread it in the soil layers as there was a lot covering the surface. I have never seen food plots do better. We planted wheat, oats, and rye on the surface of disced ground and only a very light covering. this is seven years of usage and the results are dramatic. I have clover and honeysuckle along the boundaries of the food plots that gets a heavy dose as well as a few dozen large oaks.

What i have learned is that deer will eat ANYTHING fertilized with chicken manure. We put a bunch in moms flower bed and the garden in the front yard. WOW what a garden...untill the deer hit it.. The even ate squash vines all the way to the ground Ate every dang flower too and this on a year of abundance.

We wont put any on those plots next year and they typically do better the second year. the bottom line? deer will choose chicken litter browse over browse fertilized with commercial fertilizer ten to one

Comment

8 grand per acre! Wow! I don't know if I can do that much. I have a plot that's about 1\2acre maybe a little less. I was thinking a thousand lbs disced under. Would like to bury some by an Oak tree.

Good info, thanx GG

Comment

Where does a person get that much chicken**** ?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                        Where does a person get that much chicken**** ?

Too easy
                        Seriously, GG's observations deserve an attempt to duplicate his results, interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Sid View Post
                          Too easy
                          Seriously, GG's observations deserve an attempt to duplicate his results, interesting.

Aint that the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Sid View Post
                            Too easy

I'm being serious. Where would a person buy it? I know GG has had great success

Comment

Im sure there are some chicken barns up there.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                                I'm being serious. Where would a person buy it? I know GG has had great success
                                Most of the feed stores have it and will spread it for you.. probably around 35bucks a ton spread. we keep upping the quantity but dont have to do those plots but every three years.

Comment

Working...
                                X