Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Should this spike be taken out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only one way to find out just how old he really is......

Comment

I always look at it is if there's other bucks that's his same age that are a lot better. Then shoot him. Even if those bucks have spikes but are longer. His face looks 1.5 but to me his body could also show a young buck or just an old rundown buck which would explain the dark hocks. I have my answer but I'd get bombarded with insults to the spike lovers so

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
        Looks 2.5
        If you like tender steaks...absolutely

He aint but about 8 months old

Comment

I wouldn't shoot him, I think he's way to young. JMO

Comment

I could be wrong but I believe this deer never comes close to scoring atleast 140. Eating a lot of protein for nothing to top out around 120 if he's lucky.

Comment

Let him grow

Comment

If you want more that look just like him....keep him another year or 3 or 6 or.....

You can tell my stance on spikes

Comment

Shoot a hole in his ear so you can identify him in a couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                    I could be wrong but I believe this deer never comes close to scoring atleast 140. Eating a lot of protein for nothing to top out around 120 if he's lucky.
                    ****, can you look into that crystal ball of yours and let me know if I will ever win the lottery?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                      Shoot a hole in his ear so you can identify him in a couple years.
                      Dang good idea!!

Comment

Originally posted by CoolArrow View Post
                        Question sir. (Back 6 teeth) do you mean the last 3 teeth on each jaw or the last 6 teeth per jaw? I want to learn how to do this. Thanks
                        Back 6 teeth per jaw. A 1.5 year old will still have his milk teeth, which are the first 3 teeth (premolars) and that 3rd milk tooth will have 3 cusps but will appear heavily worn. He'll replace the milk teeth in the next few months and that 3rd milk tooth with 3 cusps will be replaced by a permanent tooth with 2 cusps. Also, 1.5 yr old will often show only the tips of the 6th tooth as it's just erupting. Once a deer reaches 2.5, then you go strictly off the back 3 teeth.

Comment

Here is a yearling that came for a bite this afternoon
                          Attached Files

Comment

A yearling.

Comment

Fork horn Same age as spike. Shoot spike, post photo of teeth and let's find out. While tooth wear is semi-shady on perfection, there's no missing a yearling. Think of it as an educational opportunity on a buck that, on average, will grow up to be less in antlers than his age cohorts.

Comment

He's chasing a doe tonight. This is one horny yearling. Lol
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X