Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
    Cute trapping buddy there.
    Thank you sir he has to try to shoot every thing lol. He loves this stuff can't get enough of it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Btoutdoors View Post

Had one try to sneak in a sheep pasture.
      Originally posted by Fergeris View Post

Makes 2 of us.
      Nice work fellas.

Comment

Originally posted by Fergeris View Post
        Makes 2 of us lol

Good job!

Comment

Originally posted by Laner7 View Post
          It may be the light in the pic, but that dog looks pretty big and pretty. If he looks as good in person as it did on pics I'd be mounting that one.
          He was a cool color, old dog that weighed 30lbs. I will post some more pics from my phone.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Kinda wolfy looking with that dark guard hair.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                Kinda wolfy looking with that dark guard hair.
                Yep I agree, he was old and colored up nice. It was a nice catch.

Comment

Really like his color. agree, he does look sorta wolf like.

Comment

Good job guys

Bt I was wondering how you had that one, first pic I could not see how it was caught.

Looks like snare around the middle but it took pic of him hanging off of truck for snare to enter my mind

Comment

Comment

Been awhile since I caught a red. But nice cat to sir

Comment

Hey guys,

So, I've never trapped a thing - except my wife. She fell for my wiles and now she's stuck. But, that's not why we're here.

For a couple of years I've wanted to get into trapping, but I haven't been able to scrounge up the time, cash or information. Now, to get this out of the way; I still don't have much cash, but I have a near-endless supply of basic materials, and I have the time to invest in building/setting traps. Well, more building, less setting. As someone 100% new to the concept, I'm still a little...hesitant to work with foot traps because I don't want to put myself in a position to trap something I'm not after with a foot trap and have it wounded. I'm sure there are SOME first-time trappers that experience this, too (Maybe?).

That said, I'm attacking this new desire in two ways. One; get informed. I want to find out what I need to have re: licensing and whatnot for trapping. Also, I want to build my own trap that will let me release an animal I'm not after. This morning I mocked up a quick design that I need you guys to shoot holes in, if you don't mind.

The idea is to basically dig a box-sized hole, camo the box, and let the animal weight overcome the tension spring. The right-angle wall of the hole acts as the 'door' until I get there.

Is this more trouble than buying a trap? Yes, but it costs less. Is it probably less effective that foot traps/conibears? Definitely, but the theory would give me peace of mind while I learn.

Thoughts?

PS - looking at this design now that it's on a screen and not right in front of me, I realize that the 'open end' needs to be LESS than 90, rather than more, for the geometry to work right, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
                            Hey guys,

So, I've never trapped a thing - except my wife. She fell for my wiles and now she's stuck. But, that's not why we're here.

For a couple of years I've wanted to get into trapping, but I haven't been able to scrounge up the time, cash or information. Now, to get this out of the way; I still don't have much cash, but I have a near-endless supply of basic materials, and I have the time to invest in building/setting traps. Well, more building, less setting. As someone 100% new to the concept, I'm still a little...hesitant to work with foot traps because I don't want to put myself in a position to trap something I'm not after with a foot trap and have it wounded. I'm sure there are SOME first-time trappers that experience this, too (Maybe?).

That said, I'm attacking this new desire in two ways. One; get informed. I want to find out what I need to have re: licensing and whatnot for trapping. Also, I want to build my own trap that will let me release an animal I'm not after. This morning I mocked up a quick design that I need you guys to shoot holes in, if you don't mind.

The idea is to basically dig a box-sized hole, camo the box, and let the animal weight overcome the tension spring. The right-angle wall of the hole acts as the 'door' until I get there.

Is this more trouble than buying a trap? Yes, but it costs less. Is it probably less effective that foot traps/conibears? Definitely, but the theory would give me peace of mind while I learn.

Thoughts?

PS - looking at this design now that it's on a screen and not right in front of me, I realize that the 'open end' needs to be LESS than 90, rather than more, for the geometry to work right, I think.

What are you trying to trap? A dog proof trap for coons is 15 or less. A lot less hassle. A lot less time consuming. And you can kind of be selective on what it catches by what bait you use. Plus if you catch something you don't want you can release it with not much harm to the animal.

For coyotes, good luck getting one to go in a box. I mean, I guess it could happen. I've seen coyotes in cage traps before. But I am skeptical about them getting into a box hole in the ground.

Modern, offset, two coil footholds aren't that expensive. Under 10 bucks. And you can release the animals with little damage as well when they're set up right.

If you're dead set on using a trap you construct there are better options. Look into those rabbit guillotine door traps and upscale it for coons, possums, skunks etc. plus with your setup you're relying on the dirt to hold the animal in place. Lots of these animals are diggers. They may just dig out.

I'm not trying to discourage you or rain on your idea. I've made box traps and it's really cool to catch something in a trap you construct yourself. But I think you're more likely to get something with modern equipment and with a lot less effort and that will keep you interested in the sport.

Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Btoutdoors View Post

Man you are on a roll. Beautiful fox and nice cat.

Comment

Here's another style of trap that I've seen.

For the best poaching manuals available anywhere, check out https://meattrapper.com/wildman/To unlock over 250 episodes of MeatTrapper Radio, Resistance Trap...

Comment

Working...
                                X