Antler Deformity Qestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antler Deformity Qestion

Have 3 bucks from last year that I expected to all be larger this year. 1 of the 3 actually put on a few inches the other 2 declined big time. I'll post up some pics when I can.

Question. All 3 were very symmetrical last year. All 3 have a weaker left side this year and all 3 appear to have damaged their left mainbeams during the antler growth process and the damage/waviness appears b/w the base and G2.
    What could cause this? Genetics? A subpar spring rain fall? They all hurt their left antler on the same protein feeder at the same point during antler growth? This has me scratching my head big time.

Are you feeding cotton seed? I have heard that deer will get there antlers caught in the square wire during the growing season which could case deformity? We have never experienced it but just a thought.

Comment

Our deer have learned to bang their head and antlers on the protein feeders to get more feed out. We often see the bigger bucks with crazy looking G2's which I assume is them hitting them against the metal feeder in velvet.
      Might be what you have going on?

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
        Our deer have learned to bang their head and antlers on the protein feeders to get more feed out. We often see the bigger bucks with crazy looking G2's which I assume is them hitting them against the metal feeder in velvet.
        Might be what you have going on?
        Most of ours kick the feeders but have a few that use their antlers....

We have deformities every year but they always seem to clean up the following season.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X