Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Mass...how do you get it if you don't have it??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bulltx50 View Post
    Typically no one wants to hear from a biologist, but glad to add my two cents. I manage several ranches in the Brady area, all free range ranches and mass production typically occurs at 5.5 plus years of age. With that said, if mother nature does not lend support through sufficient rainfall/moisture all is a mute point. No ones pockets are deep enough to feed supplements and make a difference; we need rain. We are in our second year of good rains that have fallen throughout the two year period. This leads to deer being able to maintain body weights and have additional nutrients to carry into horn production. If you are supplemental feeding you should see a huge difference in bucks mass even on free ranging whitetails. Feeding corn only as you know does little to no good at helping whitetail deer outside of a stomach filler when hungry. Even during the hunting season your feeders should a be a 50/50 mix of protein supplement and corn. Trending toward protein only from late January on. Age is the biggest factor when all other parts of the equation are in place. Let them grow up. This is nothing that most of you don't already know, its hard to change a proven formula. Of course other factors do exist in free ranging environments, such as what your neighbors have as rules, droughts, size of property, agriculture practices and of course domestic stock grazing practices. Good luck and good hunting. Rest assured this year sets up as a great year for big whitetail bucks.
    Aren't those 2 statements kinda contradictory?
    No picking a fight or being an a&$, as I feel you made some good points, but it seems you have 2 different views on feeding protein represented in your reply....

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
      Bulltx is spot on. Also, your environment is a limiting factor, so expectations should be appropriate. An intentionally extreme example, just to illustrate the point, is to compare average mass on mature bucks in Saskatchewan vs Brady, TX. Good habitat, age, and supplements will make a difference, but won't make the 2 locations equal.

Here's an informative read...
      www.qdma.com/minerals-for-whitetails
      I read this article and i feel stupider now. I thought minerals like calcium and phosphorus would probably improve antler growth but after reading this it seems it may or may not help.

Comment

Originally posted by TMEC View Post
        I read this article and i feel stupider now. I thought minerals like calcium and phosphorus would probably improve antler growth but after reading this it seems it may or may not help.
        Gonna read it tonight

Comment

You are correct to say one statement could contradict the other, but my apology for not being clear. With the past two years of rainfall we have had, pasture conditions above average, and mast crops abundant; supplemental feeding can make a difference in antler production. I should have tied those two statements together with a statement connecting how the two can work hand in hand for you.

Comment

Gotcha...cool..thanks for the clarification

Comment

There is so much information out there for all hunters; myself included. The one thing we do know for certain about the whitetail deer is that what we thought we knew is going to change. It always does.

Comment

Genetics, Nutrition and age.

Comment

Originally posted by BBBGP View Post
                  Genetics, Nutrition and age.
                  Yep. It ain't rocket science. Never has been and never will be..

Comment

Apologies to bulltx50. I came off a little harsh..

Y'all listen up..
                    He has valuable info..

Comment

Apology Accepted but not needed. You or anyone for that matter has a right to your opinion and or thoughts. Its what makes these threads worth while and educational.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                        groceries and birthdays...
                        Protein.. It takes 3-4 years to really see the benefits though..
                        We battle the exact problem, among a few others..
                        We have great genetics, lack of mass, and not enough birthdays...
                        I think we are right down the road from each other...

Good luck.
                        this is key

Comment

I hunt Brady as well. I have two neighbors that ride around on their side by side's with AR's. Not a lot I can say since they stay on their side of fence. Unfortunately they take young 8 points every year. We only bow hunt so the deer tend to come our way when they hit the field and we usually get one good mature deer a year. It would be nice if they would let the others grow old. We would have a better population of mature deer.

Comment

Originally posted by bulltx50 View Post
                            You are correct to say one statement could contradict the other, but my apology for not being clear. With the past two years of rainfall we have had, pasture conditions above average, and mast crops abundant; supplemental feeding can make a difference in antler production. I should have tied those two statements together with a statement connecting how the two can work hand in hand for you.
                            This statement is true because in yrs of abundant rainfall the supplemental feed actually becomes supplimental instead of life supportive.

Comment

Working...
                            X