Aging deer from trailcam pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aging deer from trailcam pictures

Its interesting to me how different deer can look based on lighting, body angle or posture. These two pictures are of the same deer taken about an hour a part. Antlers aside, its amazing to me how different physically this deer looks in these pictures. Looks like he hit the weights in between. lol

Last edited by Roscoe; 10-19-2016, 10:00 AM.

I think cameras can be deceiving I know some the guys on the lease have wifi cameras they were watching a couple deer 2 wks before season and killed 2 of them and they were not the deer we all thought they were

Comment

I agree , always subtract 2 inches all over

Comment

Looks 4.5 -5 to me . The first picture would be better if he had his head up. The second pic the lighting is not so good. That's a deer with a lot of potential ! I would pass on him if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydestik View Post
          Looks 4.5 -5 to me . The first picture would be better if he had his head up. The second pic the lighting is not so good. That's a deer with a lot of potential ! I would pass on him if possible.
          He may have lots of potential, but he better stay away from me if he wants to realize it. Lol. He's a dream buck for me. I hunt 107acres and he's a non resident deer most of the time.

Been over 2 months since I caught him on camera last. Had him on camera very off and on for over a year. He does not come to feeders, at least on our place. I will be trying some hand corn this year at that fence crossing to see if he'll come out and play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
            He may have lots of potential, but he better stay away from me if he wants to realize it. Lol. He's a dream buck for me. I hunt 107acres and he's a non resident deer most of the time.

Been over 2 months since I caught him on camera last. Had him on camera very off and on for over a year. He does not come to feeders, at least on our place. I will be trying some hand corn this year at that fence crossing to see if he'll come out and play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            I understand what your saying ... I would take him too under those conditions. You have two daytime pictures of him that's a good sign. ...Good Luck

Comment

I think he looks the same Roscoe....a 5.5 year old

He does look a little older in the bottom pic, which he maybe

Comment

Originally posted by Hydestik View Post
                Ha

Comment

He looks the same age in both pictures to me. Body size does look much different between the two pictures. But, the major age indicators still show in both pics. I think he is 6+

Comment

6+ imo

Comment

Agree, looks like a fully mature buck to me.

Comment

Yea I'd definitely say 4.5 at least look at those tarsal glands they're black and that brisket, sway back and pot belly he has going on definitely a mature deer from my point of view

Comment

That deer has kids 4 years old! Looks like a stud in both pics to me...

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                            Its interesting to me how different deer can look based on lighting, body angle or posture. These two pictures are of the same deer taken about an hour a part. Antlers aside, its amazing to me how different physically this deer looks in these pictures. Looks like he hit the weights in between. lol

Roscoe, Im gonna be honest with you. Aging deer on the hoof is a crap shoot. What I do is categorize them & Im no pro its just what I do, (young=3 & under), (Mature=over 3). Unless you know the bucks birth, its impossible to know his age.

Unless you pull a tooth and have it examined, its very difficult to age them.

Comment

Working...
                            X