Sunflowers for next year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunflowers for next year

I have 157 acres in Woodson, Texas. Right now it is primarily just mesquite pasture, but some of it is very thin and could easily be converted to sunflower fields. My question is how many acres do you need in order for it to be effective? I have 3 different spots that are about 2.5 acres each in size I was thinking about converting over to sunflowers in Janurary. All 3 spots are only about 500-750 yards away from each other and would have a 5 acre pond and 2 acre wetland that would be located right in the middle of all three fields. My only concern would be to put the effort into building these sunflower fields if they are not large enough to hold/attract a good amount of birds, even though it is in a very good dove area historically. Thoughts?

They would be plenty big to hold birds. Especially if the birds already frequent the area.

Comment

I agree. We have two ~2 acre sunflower plots on our place and we have good birds in them every year. I like the 2 acre size because its a little more manageable to install and shred (if you don't have time to do all the fields, you can at least get one done, or you can come back and shred the next field for the next weekend, etc.) and its a good size for dove hunting (with 6-8 shooters you can get a shot on every bird that flies over the field, but you can also hunt it with just 2 shooters and not feel frustrated like everything is landing on the other side of the field out of range)

Comment

Working...
      X