Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Does with fawns still showing spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does with fawns still showing spots

Would you shoot a doe with fawns who had just a few spots showing still? I know once the bucks start hooking up with the does they run the fawns off and wean them. At what time would you shoot a doe with fawns in tow?
    Last edited by BGRAX; 10-05-2016, 09:42 AM. Reason: Wrong title

I watched all does on opening weekend because the only ones I saw were ones with small fawns with lots of spots

Comment

Wouldn't it be better to shoot does without fawns? Leave the ones alive that are breeding? I'm new to this and have been curious about that

Comment

I hunted last two days and all I saw were does with dawn's that still had lots of spots. They got a pass. Too bad cause I won't be able to hunt again till after for season is over

Comment

If I have a choice in does - I will shoot the doe w/o fawns every time. If the fawns are bigger w/ just faint spots - they probably will be fine though.

Comment

Never seen a thread like this one on TBH before...

Comment

All the does I saw except two had fawns with faint spots. Was trying to get the wife her first bow kill on one without a fawn but didn't come in to her range. Stayed just outside her range. The other one was a white doe and the land owner has all the white deer off limits. A spike came in the next morning close enough for the wife but he jumped her string and her arrow hit one of his horns. She was excited though. Hell I was more nervous than she was.

Comment

I passed all the ones with fawns. Just was wondering if someone was to shoot one with fawns with a few faint spots left would they be able to survive. As protective as the does are when they have fawns killing one would be a feat as on edge as they are.

Comment

Originally posted by BGRAX View Post
                  All the does I saw except two had fawns with faint spots. Was trying to get the wife her first bow kill on one without a fawn but didn't come in to her range. Stayed just outside her range. The other one was a white doe and the land owner has all the white deer off limits. A spike came in the next morning close enough for the wife but he jumped her string and her arrow hit one of his horns. She was excited though. Hell I was more nervous than she was.
                  He must have duck, because if he jumped and she hit him on a antler, she was shooting a little high.

Just teasing you, maybe she will smoke the next one

Comment

I passed all the ones with fawns. Just was wondering if someone was to shoot one with fawns with a few faint spots left would they be able to survive. As protective as the does are when they have fawns killing one would be a feat as on edge as they are.
                    I have been told if they are eating off the ground, then they are old enough to mostly manage for themselves.

Comment

I've always given them a pass and up to this point, I've been successful hunting the fawn-less does. But, if every dang doe in the woods has a fawn with her, I could see myself taking a doe one way or the other under those circumstances.

Comment

Our lease in the past has an over abundance of bucks. Last year I began to see a few more does. We hunted for 4 days this past weekend and was pleasantly surprised to see more does. At what point do the does wean the fawns off? I know they usually stay with them for a while as a family unit.

Comment

Our lease in the past has an over abundance of bucks. Last year I began to see a few more does. We hunted for 4 days this past weekend and was pleasantly surprised to see more does. At what point do the does wean the fawns off? I know they usually stay with them for a while as a family unit.
                          Well, I'm no wildlife biologist, but if the fawn is eating browse and corn and not hitting the teet, I would consider them "weened". But, I have noticed several yearlings(does) hanging out with mature does, so you would think they were offspring from previous year. I think they will stay together if possible. I personally don't think they run them off.

Your going to get a couple different answers on this. I've been told by a biologist that a weened fawn has a good chance of making it without mom. But, I've also been told by very experienced hunters/game managers that the fawn has little chance of making it.

Comment

the whole point of deer season is so we don't have to make these judgement calls, if you have a clean shot on a doe and you want to fill the freezer, don't worry about the fawn.

Comment

Faintly spotted fawn will survive, but we try to only shoot does that are past breeding age

Comment

Working...
                              X