Does with fawns still showing spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BGRAX View Post
    Would you shoot a doe with fawns who had just a few spots showing still? I know once the bucks start hooking up with the does they run the fawns off and wean them. At what time would you shoot a doe with fawns in tow?

Comment

I give them a free pass.

Comment

Several years ago, a fellow hunter shot a doe with twins who were "fending for themselves" and I went to help him track her....when we found her, the twins were laying down with her. I'm not a sentimental kinda guy usually, but if I know a doe is with a fawn, I just won't shoot her.

Comment

I shot a doe a few yrs ago and never saw that it had a fawn with it. After the shot, the fawn came out of a thicket and i kicked myself. Poor fawn lived in about a 200yd radius after that and was pretty much tame. I would walk within 15yds of it to the stand on multiple occasions. Id watch it bed and get up and moving in the morning. It picked up with another group but for 3 weeks it was just a loner that lived by 2 of my setups.

Comment

If the fawn is eating corn I will shoot the doe

Comment

I will in southeast Texas because our deer get bred in end of September early October. All of the fawns around here are 6-7 months old right now I bet. West or south Texas are different stories though. Usually the fawns are too young for me to feel comfortable airing out the mom.

Comment

It seems to me that the fawns have spots a lot later this year than in past years. All the ones I have on camera and have seen have spots. I'm thinking in the past most had lost the spots by now.

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
                  It seems to me that the fawns have spots a lot later this year than in past years. All the ones I have on camera and have seen have spots. I'm thinking in the past most had lost the spots by now.

LWD
                  I was thinking the same thing, but I notices that trend last year

Comment

We had a fawn with faint spots, only about 5 on each side, it was with a yearling doe and a mature doe. The mature doe was very edgy of course.The fawn walked out with the yearling doe. Then in a few minutes out walked the mature doe. I first said the mature doe was a loner. After a few minutes, the mature doe walked off and the fawn went with her. A short time passed and they came back in. The fawn went back to the yearling. I wanted my wife to shoot the lone doe but could not tell which doe was the fawn less one. I called her off and let them walk. They never came into her range anyways. If one had come in and she had shot we would have been sick when we found out it was the momma doe. I was just wanted to find out if they would make it without the momma doe.

Comment

Working...
                    X